Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help Diagnose
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:13 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

My Win 7 64bit computer has been acting erratically lately. It's had 2 main problems: It turns on and the mouse/keyboard and the os itself is completely frozen. Restart is required. I turn it on and all the lights come on, but computer does not boot. Mouse lights, etc are on, but no video signal whatsoever - if i restart the computer enough times, it will come on.

I'm thinking it may be a dying hard disk drive - thoughts? Things I could do to test it?

I just sold my AMD 7970, replaced it with a 4850 - the video problem with the 4850 could be fixed by plugging in and unplugging the HDMI cable from the computer and now I've got a Sapphire R9 290, which the plug in and unplugging wouldn't work.

Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Your comment about "restarting enough times" causes the computer to come on leads me to believe it is a failing PSU. And while I've never experienced it, I could see it causing the other problem.

I'm not sure I completely follow your GPU story: sold 7970...went down to 4850...then back to r9 290...seems like an odd upgrade path. Still, if you didn't do it then, I would suggest uninstalling all GPU software and drivers and then re-installing with the most recent drivers for your current GPU (the r9 290). I think it's a long shot, but it is possible that switching of GPUs may have contributed to the problem.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Ah, if it's a failing PSU, that would actually make a lot of sense, *i think*.

I'm googling ways to diagnose hardware problems right now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:59 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

the R9 290 will definitely put more strain on the PSU than the other two GPU's
290 = 300W Max TDP
7970 = 250W Max TDP
4850 = 110W Max TDP

So if you already had a weak PSU to start with, the R9 290 will cause any pre-existing problems to become worse.

If you put the 4850 back in, does the problem occur less frequently ??? If so, you definitely have a power problem. If not, can you startup normally in safe mode ??? If you can startup normally in safe mode, then it's likely software related. If not, check your memory, then hdd.

But the fact you get no video signal some times points almost directly towards PSU.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:08 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Beg, borrow, or steal a known good PSU with enough power and connectors for your 290, if problem goes away PSU is the culprit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:11 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Beg, borrow, or steal a known good PSU with enough power and connectors for your 290, if problem goes away PSU is the culprit.

I have an 850W corsair gold psu that was bought pre-owned, so it could still be it, but I have discovered through windows 7 that one of my hard disk drives (though not the os one so don't know why it was causing problems with boot???) was bad. I removed the drive (do not take out a drive with the disk still spinning... learned that today) and have had two successful boots - one from a windows restart, the other from a shutdown. I'm going to shut the system down tonight before sleeping and turn it on tomorrow to see if problem is rectified.

The drive sounded like it was running as normal, no clicking and when it ran it brought up the files but apparently something was wrong according to windows.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Sounds like you've found your culprit, good deal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:36 am 
Northwood
Northwood

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Sounds like you've found your culprit, good deal.

Not so fast! I woke up this morning and it's doing it again! >.>

I'm going to switch back to the past ati 4850 and see if it still boots and how well it does.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:59 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you uninstall the drivers for the 7970 and install the drivers for the 4850? If not that is most likely your problem.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:49 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

It is very unlikely to be a HDD as it is occurring pre-boot.

I would guess a peripheral (bad keyboard or mouse) or the MB.

Could also be the PSU since it is under a lot of stress when things are first powering up.

See if it boots with the mouse and keyboard and all other peripherals except the monitor disconnected. Or use spares, but do remove all unnecessary peripherals, even unplugging any Ethernet line.

The fact you have a new video card that went from 110W to 250W max. graphics power points to the PSU. I agree you haven't exactly explained the 4850 > 7970 > 4850 > R290 path. Did it ever work with the 7970?

Are you saying you have now popped in a Corsair 850W unit and things are still bad?

In addition to what Nasty said--I know it is the same graphics driver package but the package is full of different drivers and the one selected by the updater for the 4850 may be different than the R290--I would do a CMOS reset per MB manual.

It is interesting how Win7 determined you have a bad HDD. Please elaborate?