Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Deleting UEFI Settings From A Laptop?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 am 

I bought a laptop [Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P], but it was obviously a display copy, and it still has their company name as the main username. I thought doing a factory reset would get rid of it under users, but it still shows up.

But it turns out, after booting into Windows 8, it shutdown and locked itself and showed the companies address and mentioned an unlock password if I didn't have an Internet connection, I connected it and it rebooted back into Windows 8.

Is there a way to delete all that stuff, and if so how, because I don't want to have to go through the same thing every single time I need to do a factory reset?

Post subject: Re: Deleting UEFI Settings From A Laptop?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:57 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

See if you can take it back. If it's obviously a floor model meant to be displayed and not really used, then you shouldn't have gotten it.

Otherwise you're going to have to find a way to reinstall it from an install disk. You can get the CD key (because they stopped printing those anywhere) by following http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8 ... ct-key.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm 

I can't take it back, I no longer live in the city where I bought it, not even in the same part of the country anymore.

So, there's got to be a way to completely reset UEFI.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Go to Change PC Settings (either search it or from Charms) -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Restart. Once it gets to a menu, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings.

If it still does this then your build of Windows is a demo build and it needs to be replaced.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Go to Change PC Settings (either search it or from Charms) -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Restart. Once it gets to a menu, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings.

I can't find Update & Recovery, I am a Windows 7 user.

Can you post some images please?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Press Delete, F2, or F12 when it's booting. The manual should say which key to press.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:38 am 

Oh, to get into the BIOS, I know how to get into the BIOS.

That doesn't get rid of the locking problem where the company's info shows up after 20 days because the system locks itself down and won't work again until connected to the Internet.

That is what I need to get rid of, and it's obviously part of UEFI. So, there's got to be some way to completely delete that out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Okay, I'm going to give you these two options:

• Contact Lenovo and tell them your situation and ask for a BIOS/UEFI update that doesn't have what you think is on there (you can't delete stuff from BIOS/UEFI, you can only reimage it)
  • Install another operating system over Windows. Or reinstall Windows over what's already on there. Or ask Lenovo for a recovery DVD.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Are you talking about an initial boot logo, because that is a low rez image that can be removed or replaced with your own image?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:10 am 

Disable UEFI and Enable Legacy Boot
Unlike past PCS, which would let you access the BIOS at startup, you'll need to first enable Advanced Startup Mode.

Back to Windows 7 - Settings Open Settings by going to the Charms Bar and clicking on the Gear icon.

Back to Windows 7 - Advanced Settings Go to "Change PC Settings" at the bottom right corner of the screen, below the icons. On the left, scroll down and select "General Settings." On the right, scroll down through the settings options to find "Advanced Options."

Back to Windows 7 - UEFI Firmware Settings This will close out of the standard Metro interface and open up a blue screen with several tiles. Select "UEFI Firmware Settings"—you may need to first select "Tools and Settings" and then "Advance Options"—and then follow the prompt to restart and change settings.

Back to Windows 7 - Boot Options Upon rebooting, the system should produce a startup menu. Select "BIOS setup." Under the "System Configuration" tab, find "Boot Options." (In some instances, Boot Options will instead be found under the "Security" tab.)

Back to Windows 7 - Secure Boot/Legacy Support Once into the Boot Options menu, you will first find "Secure Boot" and disable it. Still in the Boot Options menu, find "Legacy Boot" and change it to enabled. You will now be able to boot into your Windows 7 installation media. Depending upon whether you will be installing it from a disc or a USB key, you will want to change the Legacy Boot Order so that either the optical drive or USB device take priority. Finally, exit the BIOS, saving changes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

IF you did a complete reinstall of Windows, even if it was from the HDD image, you should have been optioned to input your own user name. Have you tried to reinstall Windows? Can you post a screen shot?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:02 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

nsvander wrote:
IF you did a complete reinstall of Windows, even if it was from the HDD image, you should have been optioned to input your own user name. Have you tried to reinstall Windows? Can you post a screen shot?

What I'm thinking is that if it's the display model, then it has a special build of Windows for kiosk mode. So it could've been uploaded with an image that automatically sets things up so Joe Schmoe can turn it on and leave it alone.

As far as I know, UEFI does not do what OP thinks it's doing, i.e., blocking boot and asking him to enter some code. I mean, if Best Buy and stuff can get a special UEFI build, I don't see why other companies can do the same. The worst I've seen as far as locking out the computer is drive encryption.