Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: White noise from headphone jack
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Details: Asus M11BB desktop

I'm getting what best can be described as white noise coming from the front headphone jack on this PC. Hum, clicking stuff. If i get a pop-up window in a browser - that will make noise.

It's only the front jack as the rear speaker jack is fine when i hook up my headphones to it.

So what troubleshooting have I done?

I've tried 3 different headphones, updated the drivers, reinstalled the original O/S as well as Win8, Win7 and booted up Ubuntu from a USB stick. Disconnected all cables from the PC except power and headphones. On the inside I've disconnected the USB cables from the same header panel as the headphone jack. I've also disconnected the HDD and the optical drive and plugged it in another room.

Perhaps the worst part I've replaced it with the exact same model with same results. Googling shows some others with similar stories.

Asus would rather have me send the whole thing back to figure it out rather then send me either a new header(unlikely to fix) or even one of their sounds cards.

Ideas?

Post subject: Re: White noise from headphone jack
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

White noise is a hardware issue, which is why nothing software related will work.

You could wrap the wires leading out from the header to the front panel with aluminum foil, but the noise may be jumping onto the PCB traces as well. But really, there's no easy fix to this.