Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bios printing decimals to screen after Post, before Boot.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 pm 

I just re-installed Windows 7. and this started happening for no reason I can think of. This happened to me a couple of years ago and I can't remember what fixed it. I don't recall ever finding a solution, and that it might have just fixed itself. But why I don't know.

I switched to AHCI mode this time before installation, which is the only thing I've done differently, but I know this has happened before so I don't know whats up.

After post is finished, the screen says "loading operating system..." then goes blank. A cursor appears about 1 1/2" from the top corner of the screen momentarily then disappears. Then a cursor appears at the top left and starts printing decimals to the screen. It prints about 20 before finally moving on to boot.

This happened after Windows re-install. and still happens after Linux was installed. Whether going straight to Windows or to Grub. It apparently does not happen if I boot from a Live CD on a USB stick.

Deets:
Boot priority: USB, CD, HDD
MOBO: Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3
CPU: Intel I7 2600K
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
VIDEO: XFX Radeon HD 5870 XXX
Audio: MOTU 896mk3 Firewire Audio Interface

Have 4 HDD connected. Seagate 1TB w/ Windows, Seagate 1.5TB NTFS storage, 2 WD 500GB 1 /w ubuntu, the other completely unallocated.

No idea whats going on. I haven't changed anything in the BIOS.

Video:

Post subject: Re: Bios printing decimals to screen after Post, before Boot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:43 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

My guess is the bootloader is acting up and you'll have to find a way to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Try changing the boot priority to HDD first, then USB, then CD. Also, make sure you don't have any extraneous items hooked up to your computer when you boot, like a thumbdrive, camera or external HDD. I was asked to look at one computer that would not boot. First thing I did was remove the mp3 player that was connected. Fired right up.

If you do happen to figure it out, PLEASE post the solution - it will help you and us.

And was that a dryer?! :P

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm 

Interesting. Changing the boot order did it. HDD first.

That's really odd. Because this wasn't happening before I re-installed windows.

I also didn't have any USB devices plugged in that have any storage. I have an eLicencer (like an iLok) but nothing changes at boot when I have it in or out. Couldn't be my firewire, I always have that plugged in, my sound card is external, and it hasn't caused problems in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

When you switched to AHCI mode, you probably also enabled the RAID controller, the BIOS is now looking for the RAID setup, it cannot find one, so it then moves on to boot like normal. I bet if you dig around in the BIOS you can turn off the RAID controller and the issue will go away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you had multiple hard drives installed at the time of installing Windows, it could have placed the boot loader on another drive. If this is the case, then it has to search all the drives until it finds the boot loader. Then it can proceed with the booting process.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Glad everything worked out with that suggestion. I had the same thing happen to me years ago (and still do because I still use it) with a SCSI card (independent controller) but at least it identifies itself after it loads [in between the BIOS load and the OS load] following the string of periods.