Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WHEA-Logger Event 18 Errors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:23 pm 

Does anyone have any insight into what might be causing my PC to be periodically crashing with a Machine Check Exception error?

This might be a difficult problem to resolve but my PC is crashing about once or twice a week and I'm seeing WHEA-Logger/Event 18's in my event log. According to the error, the problem is a fatal hardware processor core error where the source is a Machine Check Exception with an error type of Internal Timer Error. Each time my machine blows chunks I get 4 of these events in my log with one event for Processor ID 0, Processor ID 2, Processor ID 4 and Processor ID 6. My mainboard is an ASUS P6T with an Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHZ with 4 cores, 8 logical Processors.

I've read some threads on the internet that suggest that this is a heat problem but I don't think it is as my machine has a fan for the power supply, a front fan, a back fan, a fan on the graphics card, a CPU fan and my case has a vent on the side with a funnel directly over the CPU fan to vent out excess heat. In addition all of my case and CPU fans are setup to run at variable RPM's and I although I do hear the fans speed up at time, it's pretty infrequent. I don't think this problem is related to voltage issues (i.e. brown outs and/or voltage spikes) as this unit as always sat behind an APC battery backup and I doubt it's power supply issue as the unit I bought had a lot more capacity than needed and the PC itself has little in it beside a 1 GB hard drive and a graphics card. I also do not believe that this is a BIOS issue as my BIOS is the latest that ASUS offers for this Mainboard.

At this point, I'm a bit lost as to what the cause of the problem might be and/or any remedy that might be available. Does anyone know if this problem is correctable or whether I'd just be wasting time and/or money as the PC is about 3 or 4 years old? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post subject: Re: WHEA-Logger Event 18 Errors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I would suspect your PC is older than that.

Test the RAM (not listed) by booting up and running memtest86 or 86+ (v.5 or greater). A single error is a fail. A pass is not necessarily a pass, however.

If it passes, try running on a single stick (or two sticks if the system balks) of RAM and see if problem goes away. If not, try another stick....If not, try another stick.... This is pretty conclusive the problem is or is not RAM.

Run hwmonitor and examine temps and voltage. Again it may point out the problem, but a pass is not necessarily a pass especially not under significant load.

If the problem is not RAM then I would suspect poor power (not listed), bad MB or bad CPU in that order. If you have another PSU swap it in to see if the problem goes away. Even a 400W would do, and if your GPU requires more simply disable the graphics driver forcing it to its default SVGA setting before the PSU swap so you don't tax it.

Open up and examine the interior of the case for any signs of carbon scorch, melting or leaking solder or dried liquids (the MB looks like all solid caps to me so leaking caps not the problem). Any odor of burning? Then use compressed air to blow dust out the case especially around the CPU heat sink.

Lastly, if this doesn't fix would be to remove the components and examine each individually for physical damage though good chance you cannot see any damage.

Last edited by FascistNation on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Microsoft also has a nifty article surrounding this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wi ... ogger.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:03 pm 

FascistNation wrote:
I would suspect your PC is older than that.

I went back and checked and it was July of 2009 when I purchased the motherboard so you're right.

I ran the memory test and it passed with no errors. I also ran HWMonitor and Open Hardware Monitor and both seemed to show the voltages, fan speeds and temperatures were pretty normal. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to perform some of the other test myself and unfortunately, at the moment, here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains (grin) there's are no shops with the necessary resources to conduct the tests you mentioned. Since I'll be moving back to a city in May, I may just have to wait until that time to perform more tests. Right now this is just an irritation as it only chokes every so often (i.e. once every 1 to 3 weeks).

Also since the unit is about 5 years old, I may decide to attempt to do a partial overhaul and put in a new motherboard and CPU into my existing ATX case and try to re-use my two DVD drives, my 1 GB Radeon PCI-E graphics card, 1GB hard drive and 6GB of DDR3 memory. I have another post on another section of this forum asking for suggested replacement boards and CPU's but if you or anyone else wants to weigh in with a recommendation, I'll gladly listen as I'm no longer up on what boards are processors are vogue these days.