Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: disk cloning
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hi,

My computer is about ten years old and the hard drive is starting to have problems. What is the easiest way to put an exact clone or copy of the old drive onto a brand new drive? So in theory I could swap the new drive into the computer as the main drive, and it would run just the same, and the old one could go on the shelf. I did some research and one program mentioned having to reactivate windows, and other programs, and would rather not have to do that. Would like to keep this as simple as possible and just clone the whole drive. Would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: disk cloning
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Do you already have a drive to replace the old one? If you buy a Western Digital drive you can download a gimped copy of Acronis True Image. I used it, worked perfect. Actually, I think most drives let you get some kind software. Read the descriptions or check manufacturer's website. SHould be easy going from a HDD to another HDD. SSD becomes a little more complicated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 pm 

No I haven't bought a replacement drive yet -was going to order one tonight. Will any WD HDD work? My old drive is a Samsung.

I'm willing to purchase software if necessary to get this done, just want it as easy as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's some disk utilities for free you can find that can do this for you. I keep forgetting the one I used... Partition Wizard? Partition Magic? Something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Anything in WD Blue or Black series will be good, assuming this is like a normal daily driver PC. Under 2TB or less is you're safest bet; figuring the age the current drive is what? 320GB 500GB? Whatever, as long as the new one is the same size or larger.

Like LatiosXT said there are plenty of free programs out there if you do a web search, of varying degrees of utility and ease-of-use. I mentioned the WD Acronis thing because I did this very thing not long ago. It went flawlessly and the software is pretty easy to use, nice GUI.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 am 

Appreciate the feedback.

Last questions; do I install the new drive first as a second drive, and then install the software? Or the other way around? Are you sure with the WD program I won't have to call windows and reauthorize it, etc -I just don't want to deal with the hassle.

My old drive is a Samsung 1614 C. 160GB. It has been acting strange lately and want to make an exact image or clone of it before it's a goner. Will any WD drive under 2T work?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:57 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Installing the software before or faster doesn't matter. But when you install the hard drive, make sure it works. That is it's either detected by the software or in Windows' Device Manager. And you shouldn't have to reactivate Windows once everything is done.

The whole 2TB thing is a boot issue. Since I don't know too much about it, let's just say yes, as long as it's under 2TB, it should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:48 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Oh hey, DeltaForce, is that drive you're replacing IDE or SATA? I just was thinking that with the age of that machine it may not have SATA ports. If not, you can still clone the drive through a two step process, you'll need an external drive to write the image to, then replace it from, onto the new drive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

As crwlngkngsnk said the Acronis software you can get from the hard drive manufacture works really well! I transferred my old drive to my new SSD with no problems at all...and the Acronis version they let us use is free! What can be better than that?

A ten year old machine probably doesn't have SATA ports, look on the motherboard before you buy your new drive.

To be honest I would just build a new machine and replace that ten year old dinosaur....but if you can't do that:

Newegg IDE Drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... =BESTMATCH

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:57 pm 

two cents worth

I don't think 10 is old. I have a Sony at 8 doin' better than some of the cheap youngin's!
But, as has been mentioned... if you have IDE HDD... ya gotta problem.
if your PSU and mobo does not have the needed SATA Cables...quit while you're $ ahead.
I've tried adapters for IDE to SATA HDD...big joke.
To go from old to new...you want to CLONE the disk . A CLONE is an EXACT copy.
Please understand.... if the problem is software and not hardware (i.e., the hd) all you will do is move your problem to a different place !

Having crashed, burned, recovered and cloned my reckless youth off, I suggest either of these two:
1. EaseUs. Free for home use. I used it to recover what other software told me could not be seen or
could not be mounted. Will clone partitions or image disks. Has a Wizzard but be sure to pay attention to options!
Stands alone.
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

2. Macrium Reflect.
Also free for home. Also will do tricks. Slightly more advanced. Must make a "rescue disk" to boot into
Backup or image. Again read the options.

http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflec ... tag=button
(be sure to open and install using "advanced" or custom option... there's bloatware to say no to! C-Net has gotten bad that way!)

I also have and have used Acronis...probably the simplest, but again, need a "recovery disk" to allow it to load win files for a boot-up. I do know from experience, Acronis will recognize pretty much anyone's image or backup, including the two I mentioned. I have always disliked the way it loads and works.....slow and indeterminate waiting on options to proceed. Very frustrating to not know what's going on while it's going on! I guess what I'm saying is:
in my opinion, the GUI is not user friendly.

Caveat's
READ THE DIRECTIONS
Read and Understand the directions.
Follow the directions.
To clone, you must have someplace to send the clone too! PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH DRIVE LETTERS YOU CLONE. If you clone the new (empty) partition to the old........u r dead in the water. period. fini.
It is much, much easier and I have been 100% successful moving image/clone from hd to hd when they
are BOTH in the same rig. Second best: docking station. Third best: hd to USB to machine (takes forever).

When transfer done, turn off machine and disconnect your Samsung.
you will know if successful as soon as restarts. Or doesn't.