Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fresh Build (Start up problems) :(
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 pm 

Ok so I recently purchased parts to build my first computer and am having trouble powering it up.

I have the Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard with a GTX 660 graphics card and the AMD FX 6300 Processor with the XFX 550 80+ power supply.

I am using the Rosewill Challenger Case that comes with three fans.

So I put everything on the motherboard then I started connecting the power supply I followed the instructions and most of the stuff is labled on the motherboard... So when I thought I had everything perfect... I finally plugged in the power supply then I flipped the switch on the back to turn the power supply on i have a mouse and keyboard plugged in via PS/2 ports and the mouse lazer comes on and the lights on the keyboard flashed on once num lock etc... and on the motherboard their is a green LED and it comes on. Now... When I press the power button on the front of the case Nothing happens no fans come on no boot screen nothing. Also I might mention the fan on the PSU also doesn't come on. I have the main power connector plugged in and the 8 pin 12v connector at the top of the motherboard. I am almost positive I have the front power reset and audio switches connected properly... If i have them backwards could this have shorted out the whole system?

Also might add that the MOBO speaker does not beep or anything.

Thank you for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Fresh Build (Start up problems) :(
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I have the Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard with a GTX 660 graphics card and the AMD FX 6300 Processor with the XFX 550 80+ power supply.

I am using the Rosewill Challenger Case that comes with three fans.

So I put everything on the motherboard...

You don't mention RAM. To POST, you need CPU, mobo, PSU, GPU and RAM (attached to the case). Use your manual to make sure you make the proper connections and use the right slots for the RAM. If you're not certain the motherboard connections to the case are correct, use the manual and research the case to make sure you identify the wires properly.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Actually you don't need RAM, the computer will just fire off a POST beep code at you. But if you have no beep, well...

I just had this happen with my old computer. It wasn't liking the video card. But that just may be a case by case basis since I know my computers are temperamental. Otherwise if there is no beep (and you're sure you've plugged the speaker in correctly), then it indicates either a CPU or power problem.

The best way troubleshoot something like this is do an absolute minimum build. Just the CPU, the video card, and one stick of RAM in slot 1 (it should be labeled on the board or in the manual). If you can get into BIOS, then you can add the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

bcain1787 wrote:
Also I might mention the fan on the PSU also doesn't come on. I have the main power connector plugged in and the 8 pin 12v connector at the top of the motherboard. I am almost positive I have the front power reset and audio switches connected properly... If i have them backwards could this have shorted out the whole system?

Also might add that the MOBO speaker does not beep or anything.

Thank you for any advice.

The psu fan doesn't work but it seems to be providing power to mouse, keyboard, mobo? Hmm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You could try jump starting the psu. Unplug the power supply from everything in the pc, then take the 24 pin plug and short the green wire with any black wire. The psu should turn on with fan running...if not it may be defective.

If the psu runs, then do as LatiosXT suggested and do a minimum build outside the box...be sure to set the motherboard down on a non conductive surface! You may have an extra support shorting out the motherboard in the case.

Nasty