Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:29 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:51 am
Posts: 171
Location: Wandering amidst the stars...
Hi, MaximumPC.

Background: I am currently on my PC. For the past few months, ever since I moved from Seattle to here in Arkansas, I've had nothing but problems with my current PC.

Symptoms: It'll randomly spontaneously reboot for no apparent reason, insofar as I can tell. I'll also occasionally find the PC has shut itself down somehow. No BSoDs, thusly no crash dumps have been made.

These are the following specs of the PC:

OS: Windows 7, Service Pack 1
Case: Rosewill Line-M
Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3, rev: 5.0, BIOS: FA
Processor: AMD 1045T X6 Processor
Graphics card: nVIDIA GeForce GT 240
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB RAM for a total of 16GB.
Coolmax 500W PSU.

No overclocks.

The only thing that would explain the behaviour is the cats knocking the PC over one day. I've reseated everything, checked to make sure nothing was sticking... and the only issue that I can figure out is that it appears the PSU is janky... in that if I wiggle the power cord even the slightest bit attached to the PSU... I can successfully cause it to 1. Reboot, or 2. Shut down.

Honestly, I'm baffled as to why the PC is continually rebooting for no apparent reason, aside from the possible explanation that the cats possibly caused something in the PSU to crap out just enough to cause an issue from time to time. I take great care to not cause the PC to reboot by way of unintentionally moving the power cable with my feet or hands until such a time I can afford to replace the PSU following the recommendations from this thread.

So... what do, people? D:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:55 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:17 pm
Posts: 852
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Keiro wrote:
.... it appears the PSU is janky... in that if I wiggle the power cord even the slightest bit attached to the PSU... I can successfully cause it to 1. Reboot, or 2. Shut down....

Wiggle near the MB or near the PSU? Could be damaged MB at the power connector from the move.

My thoughts would be loose connection--very possible considering your move, bad PSU or bad power--since you now have a different provider.

Solutions: Tear your PC completely apart and clean it out with a compressed air can and cloth and inspect components including back of MB. If any oxidation is present (not common) on memory sticks or video card buff it out with a pencil eraser. Reseat everything completely.

In fact, you may want to assemble a minimal external config (be sure to click "See full content" in JSC's original post) to jiggle it some more to see if you can define a loose connection with only a Keyboard (plugged into a USB2 or PS/2 port), one stick of RAM, CPU, HSF, PSU and monitor to rule out shorts as well as bad components. [Temporarily use onboard graphics if available; otherwise use your video card.]

Replace PSU. Since you have a GT240 I assume you do not need much performance so a inexpensive PSU will work out. I recommend this one with a 3 yr warranty.

Bad power: Buy a UPS that will protect against under or over power, spikes, filter power .... Can have power output tested, test for ground.


Last edited by FascistNation on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:09 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:51 am
Posts: 171
Location: Wandering amidst the stars...
FascistNation wrote:
Keiro wrote:
.... it appears the PSU is janky... in that if I wiggle the power cord even the slightest bit attached to the PSU... I can successfully cause it to 1. Reboot, or 2. Shut down....

Wiggle near the MB or near the PSU? Could be damaged MB at the power connector from the move.

My thoughts would be loose connection--very possible considering your move, bad PSU or bad power--since you now have a different provider.

Solutions: Tear your PC completely apart and clean it out with a compressed air can and cloth and inspect components. If any oxidation is present (not common) on memory sticks or video card buff it out with a pencil eraser. Reseat everything completely.

Replace PSU. Since you have a GT240 I assume you do not need much performance so a inexpensive PSU will work out. I recommend this one with a 3 yr warranty.

Bad power: Buy a UPS that will protect against under or over power, spikes, filter power .... Can have power output tested, test for ground.


Near the PSU. Wiggling the cord at the plugin site or anywhere along the cord leading the PSU produces that behaviour.

Solutions already tried:

1. Tearing PC apart and putting it back together after a thorough cleaning and inspection, reseating.
2. Not completed replacement of PSU; I plan on replacing the GT 240 with the graphics cards as suggested in the other thread or something similar, which is why I was asking in the other thread what PSU would fit my requirements in the other thread.
3. Been planning on purchasing a UPS... I had been thinking about that... but alas, I haven't been able to gather together enough money to buy a high-quality UPS that'd at least give my PC and attached peripherals some run-time, anywhere between 15 minutes to 24+ hours.
3.1 My surge protector says the outlets are grounded.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:55 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:17 pm
Posts: 852
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Keiro wrote:
Near the PSU. Wiggling the cord at the plugin site or anywhere along the cord leading the PSU produces that behavior.

Most likely something jarred loose or an open short occurred (crack) inside the PSU during transit.

Looks to me like you have a pretty good idea on what you want in a quality PSU this time.

The GTX760 appears to be a bargain price/performance card at the moment. I like the Gigabyte or MSI OC version at the moment. 3 yr warranties, thoughtful use of heat sink, fans and high temp components already maximally OC'd by the maker for the electrical requirements of the GPU. 500W min.

Keiro wrote:
3. Been planning on purchasing a UPS...give my PC and attached peripherals some run-time, anywhere between 15 minutes to 24+ hours.

I'd shoot for 7-10 minutes with the idea of automatic shutting down (software) if power doesn't return within 4 minutes. That allows you time to save your work. Most power comes back up within a minute. If it is down much longer it usually is down for several minutes or longer. You can usually turn off some peripherals to lengthen drainage, and if at night having at least the light of the monitor can help fish out a flashlight, plus you want to go around and start to unplug electrical components before the power comes back on if possible to avoid spikes/surges.

Keiro wrote:
My surge protector says the outlets are grounded.

Works for me.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:49 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:51 am
Posts: 171
Location: Wandering amidst the stars...
FascistNation wrote:
Keiro wrote:
Near the PSU. Wiggling the cord at the plugin site or anywhere along the cord leading the PSU produces that behavior.

Most likely something jarred loose or an open short occurred (crack) inside the PSU during transit.


That was the thought I had, or something along that lines when the cats knocked over the PC... because prior to that event, the PC itself was fine. So, replacement time it is, then. I'll probably RMA it as well.

FascistNation wrote:
Looks to me like you have a pretty good idea on what you want in a quality PSU this time.

The GTX760 appears to be a bargain price/performance card at the moment. I like the Gigabyte or MSI OC version at the moment. 3 yr warranties, thoughtful use of heat sink, fans and high temp components already maximally OC'd by the maker for the electrical requirements of the GPU. 500W min.


Hmm, nice, I like the Gigabyte version as well. So, 500W minimum... which means I should probably get something with a little more headroom, I think.

FascistNation wrote:
Keiro wrote:
3. Been planning on purchasing a UPS...give my PC and attached peripherals some run-time, anywhere between 15 minutes to 24+ hours.

I'd shoot for 7-10 minutes with the idea of automatic shutting down (software) if power doesn't return within 4 minutes. That allows you time to save your work. Most power comes back up within a minute. If it is down much longer it usually is down for several minutes or longer. You can usually turn off some peripherals to lengthen drainage, and if at night having at least the light of the monitor can help fish out a flashlight, plus you want to go around and start to unplug electrical components before the power comes back on if possible to avoid spikes/surges.


That's true. I'm also planning on getting a separate UPS for the modem and router. I suspect the things will have ridiculously long uptimes given their power drains are so little if at all.

FascistNation wrote:
Keiro wrote:
My surge protector says the outlets are grounded.

Works for me.


So I should take it as Gospel, so to speak that the outlets are grounded? I'll be moving very soon, so I'll be replacing the PSU with a new one. Hopefully with the replacement at that time, this annoying no-warning reboots will be fixed. If not, I will be angry, because it means I'll have to fall back to my spare PC build. It's nearly identical to this one, the difference being the motherboard revision. (Rev 4.1 instead of Rev. 5.0 as for this motherboard.)

... Or if someone has a spare PSU that I could use that they themselves don't need... :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 pm 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 55
Location: New York City
Since your pc has taken some whacks from moving or the cats there is a good chance that something is loose or your mobo has developed a crack. One thing to try: take a wooden chop stick from your next take out order of whoflungdung and use it as an insulated probe to press on various connectors and parts of the mobo while everything is running OK. You just might find the fault...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:31 am
Posts: 11092
Location: Home Sweet Home
...just another thought. If this is an old pc, clean and replace the cpu heatsink thermal compound with new compound. I use Arctic Silver and it works well. If the compound is dried out the pc will reboot to save the cpu from cooking, this feature is usually built into the cpu.

Nasty


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problem with my PC...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:51 am
Posts: 171
Location: Wandering amidst the stars...
Nastyman wrote:
...just another thought. If this is an old pc, clean and replace the cpu heatsink thermal compound with new compound. I use Arctic Silver and it works well. If the compound is dried out the pc will reboot to save the cpu from cooking, this feature is usually built into the cpu.

Nasty


New PC. Built around July-Aug of last year. I also replaced the old compound with new AS5 compound when I did a recent tear-down and rebuild.

I'll be doing another tear-down again after I move come the end of this month.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group