Asus Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard
CPU Intel Core i7 4820K overclocked to 4.75ghz
Memory: Kingston Hyperx 32 gigs in quad channel running and 1866mhz
SSD: Crucial M5 1terabyte
Graphics card: EVGA GTX 670 in SLI
Power Supply: Corsair AX 850 watTS
Storage: 7 of 1 terabytes of Western Digital Black
Sound Card: Creative Recon 3D.

So the dilemma happened when I connected my Onboard sound via optical output to a Onkyo HT-R391 receiver and all I got was 2.1 channel sound through the front right and front left speakers. No matter what settings I tweeked in the on board sound software still no luck. So I switchd to Recon 3D sound card and used the optical out from there still no surrund sound. I even tried HDMI connection from videocard to the receiver, still no luck. Am I doing something noobish here? I play Battlefield 3 and 4, so I really wanna hear it in 5.1 Surround.

Post subject: Re: No 5.1 Surround Sound.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:59 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

For whatever reason sound cards don't output PCM 5.1 sound over optical. It's just a design flaw. There are options available for some cards like DTS/Dolby Digital that provide 5.1, but the source material also has to support that format (which 0 games do).

So basically you're stuck using analog if you want 5.1.

EDIT: So it's not a design flaw from the audio chip vendors, it's that SPDIF cannot support uncompressed 5.1/7.1 surround because of bandwidth constraints. And my guess why they didn't bother updating this is because once HDMI took off, it supported everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

LatiosXT,

He tried using HDMI....

Quote:
I even tried HDMI connection from videocard to the receiver, still no luck. Am I doing something noobish here?

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:13 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Nasty, there was in no way that I said "did you try HDMI?" in my post. And if you're not going to provide any help, then maybe you shouldn't post. Because it's really cool that people like to tell me "did you read the damn post?" Like how you conveniently didn't read OP's post in another topic and suggested to do something he already did.

ANYWAY
Well the only indication I could find about PCM audio on your receiver's manual which would be the most compatible format is that in fixed mode it only supports 2 channels (http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/man ... nual_e.pdf page 44). Even though somewhere else I found it supports 5.1/7.1 PCM audio.

Also go make sure in Control Panel -> Sound that the HDMI out supports surround sound formats. You can check this by right clicking on the item and going to its properties. Either way, if it's Dolby or DTS that are the only surround sound outputs, you're SOL as games don't use this.