Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Optical Drive - FAIL!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 am 

My LITE-ON iHBS212 optical drive stopped working a few weeks back and shows up in the device manager with the yellow triangle/exclamation point indicating a problem. Here's the error from the device manager:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

The drive tray will open/close but the drive itself doesn't show up in list of drives in "My Computer." I've tested the drive in another system where it performs fine so whatever the issue is, it would appear to be with my system rather than the drive itself. Here's what I've tried:

Update Driver Software using Device Manager Interface
Disabled/Enabled using Device Manager Interface
Uninstalled/Installed using Device Manager Interface
Did several successive rollbacks to various System Restore Points. None of them restored the drive to a working condition.
Swapped out the SATA data cable to the drive
Plugged the drive into a different SATA port on the motherboard.
Swapped out the drive itself with a brand new drive. The brand new drive also failed to install correctly.
Searched LITE-ON's site for drivers. The page for this device (http://us.liteonit.com/us/bd-internal/i ... le/ihbs212) does not appear to offer driver downloads. ?!?
Downloaded LITE-ONs 'SmartPack' utility for firmware updates. Ran SmartPack but it was unable to detect any optical drives on my system. Sigh...

I'm stumped. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful for the help.

Windows 7 PRO
ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard

Last edited by McBenney on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Optical Drive - FAIL!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Try https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 , particularly the one about registry entries.

Post subject: PROBLEM RESOLVED
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:50 am 

Thanks LatiosXT. Taking the steps to fix the corrupt registry entries fixed the problem. I'll repost them here:

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next resolution.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.