Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is my GTX285 toast?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I built a new PC around a GTX780ti, but I started using my old PC for a backup or for really old games. I have two GTX285s in SLI. I was playing a game last night on the old PC and Windows 7 64bit froze. I rebooted, but during the POST screen there was a lot of gibberish on screen. It was all weird characters. It would try to start loading Windows (with faint vertical green lines in two spots), but would freeze right before the login screen. So I checked one card at a time and found out it would work normally with one, but not the other. If I put them in SLI with the monitor plugged into the good card I got a BSOD when I would be at the login screen. It runs normally with the good card only. The only thing I haven't checked yet is the SLI bridge. I had a flexible Asus bridge and some people have said they go bad. Before I built the new PC I kind of suspected something was up with one of the cards because while playing Fallout New Vegas I would get to section that stuttered or slowed way more than I remember. So does this sound like the other card is toast?

Post subject: Re: Is my GTX285 toast?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Rogue74 wrote:
So I checked one card at a time and found out it would work normally with one, but not the other.

That's already an indication there's something wrong with the card that didn't work. You could check the fan (make sure it's spinning), make sure nothing blew out, etc.

Post subject: Re: Is my GTX285 toast?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well I already think it's a goner, I just wanted to make sure. :lol: I'm going to blow it out then check the sli bridge before I call it.