Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Updating ST3000DM001 to CC29 glitch (unsolved again)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:02 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I've got CC26 on the drive. I don't care what people say about updating firmware only if it's necessary. I've already extracted the iso from the zip file dl and burned the iso with the windows image burning app built in. I burned it to a DVD-RW. I guess the disc could be faulty. When I boot into SeaBoot, there is no graphical display aside from artifacts at the top of the screen. I can reset the system and boot back into Windows, so everything appears fine. I'd like to know if I'm putting the wrong files onto the DVD (I'm only burning the Windows iso to the disc). I have Win8.1 x64 Pro Preview.
UPDATE: Changed settings in the BIOS from "UEFI only" to "UEFI and Legacy." Seagate, get with the times already.

Last edited by joel96 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Updating ST3000DM001 to CC29 glitch (solved)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:41 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

First make sure you are using the Image Burn option which is available, but not the default in Win8, otherwise it won't be bootable. Sadly, I believe this feature was enhanced in Win8 and MS only has Win7 comments.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:09 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I used the bootable drive tool included with the firmware .zip to get it booting--that created the bootable disc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:40 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I forsee hardware manufacturers continuing to do this until they're forced to switch (and hopefully spending that time coming up with compatible software). It's basically the old mantra: if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Like how businesses in Japan operate. You think they're high tech? Sure, for the 1980s. They still use faxes as a primary means of communication.

Post subject: Re: Updating ST3000DM001 to CC29 glitch (unsolved again)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:15 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I bought a new ST3000DM001 from Amazon directly. I wanted to avoid any issues from getting a used or old drive. Yet when I got the drive, it had CC27 on it.

I cannot get the ISO utility or the USB utility to detect the drive. It can detect two other drives of the same model. The new drive is visible in Seagate's drive checker. I've tried updating it with just the new drive plugged in, and with the other drives plugged in. I don't think changing motherboard drive ports will make any difference. I was able to initialize the drive to GPT.

If I can't get any thread responses, I'll contact Seagate technical support next, which I expect to be less helpful than forums in general.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:49 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

When you run Seatools for Windows and select Advanced Tests>F8>Firmware Update, does it show a firmware update available for your drive?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Yes. That page is where I got the firmware update from in the first place. There is a "certificate firmware" available, and that's the one I'm using. Even if there were no newer firmware available, the drive should still display in the firmware updater utility, but it isn't displaying in the firmware update utility.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:42 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Then you are correct, your next stop is Seagate TS and hope for a reply---they have been good to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Seagate TS said to RMA the drive. Oh well. I'd rather fix any problems up front than wait until the drive has an issue that can only be corrected by a firmware update, but which will be unresolveable due to the drive not being detected. I'm Advanced RMA'ing another Seagate drive for controller failure, so it's not like the the shipping will be that much more expensive. Never Amazon HDD buying again. I can't blame them for having an old inventory with outdated firmware drives that can't update their firmware, but it doesn't make me want to buy this particular model from them. Anyone know of a reliable vendor with regards to updated firmware out of the box (as in cheapest new drives with current firmware, or at least a recent inventory without the "best by..." date expired)?

Off topic:
Spoiler: show
Also, would it really be that hard to make custom printed external drive enclosure based on user-submitted files? I was disappointed that this wasn't a real thing:
http://www.seagate.com/promos/bacon-drive/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:26 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I don't think any vendor keeps hard drives up to date, especially if it's a retail unit (i.e., boxed and not in an anti-static bag). And usually you're not supposed to update firmware unless it fixes a serious bug.