Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Z87 Sabertooth no post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

the first mobo i had didn't post or beep or do anything so i rma'd it with newegg..came in today and now this mobo will not post with no beeps or anything.

i tried it with 1 gpu..no post..i tried it with the onboard video and no post and no beeps of any kind.

i removed all the ram and hit the power button and i got one long beep with two short beeps indicating no memory.
i put one stick of ram and hit the power button and no post and no beeps..i'm kinda stumped here.

this is a new brand new build so the OS isn't loaded yet.

specs: Asus Sabertooth Z87 mobo
i7 4770k cpu
x-fi sound card
2xgtx 660 ti's
cooler master siedon 240m cpu cooler
Samgsung 256gb 840 pro boot drive
Corsair 850 RM PSU
cooler master Haf 932 blue edition

Post subject: Re: Z87 Sabertooth no post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well considering POST is actually working (the long beep and two beeps with no memory installed)... It's probably the memory.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:43 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

i'm not so sure..ive tried 2 different sets from 2 different vendors..Gskill and Crucial.

i'm using the Crucial ram in my current system..it has blue leds..in my current system some turn on..some turn off in different patterns,but when i put this same ram in my new build it all stays solid blue..like its locked up.

the crucial ram is rated at 1.65v..the Gskill ram is rated at 1.5v

i read on the newegg forums that the Sabertooth requires 1.65v ram.

everything is new on this build except for the sound cards,gpu's and a couple HDDs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:50 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The two likely candidates here then are the motherboard and RAM. If you want to try a third time with RAM from a different vendor, go ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:26 am 

Seems like compatible issue.

Check if the mobo needs the Bios update to work with the CPU and RAM.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

PcTestCardCom wrote:
Seems like compatible issue.

Check if the mobo needs the Bios update to work with the CPU and RAM.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

Uh...

You do realize the Z87 has no issues with compatibility regarding either the 4770K (which is one of the first processors released for this chipset) or RAM (DDR3 has been standardized for years with no game breaking revision if any).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:47 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Any chance the monitor is dead or the video cable is not working? I realize you likely should get a single ("good") beep.

Strip it out of the case and do an minimal external build.

Try an External build (be sure to click "See full content" in JSC's original post), tear it down to a minimal functioning system, lay the main board (helps if a speaker connected to front header or embedded on MB for beep codes; or if any diagnostic LEDs, LCD are present) on a piece of plain brown cardboard or other non-conducting surface with only a Keyboard (plugged into a USB2 or PS/2 port), one stick of RAM (use a 1.5V stick), CPU, HSF, PSU and monitor to rule out shorts as well as bad components. [Temporarily use onboard graphics if available; otherwise use your video card.]
    *Switch RAM stick and slot location. Keep seeing if your minimal system works.
    *If stable, then add one component back to the system at a time. This will rule out components and maybe rule in the defective part. If you have any known working parts that can temporarily substitute this is a good time to try them one at a time.
    *Often the mere act of pulling the system apart and reassembling it will make a good contact with a previously not completely seated part and result in a functioning system.
-------------
Assuming it is not a bad/missing connection and a minimal system is still exhibiting the same problems then:
1. I do not think it memory. You have tried 4 sticks with same problem. What are the odds?
2. You tried 2 MBs. What are the odds?
3. This leaves you with the PSU and CPU. I suppose also the keyboard. The keyboard is pretty easy to check if you have another one. And even if you don't you can try booting up without one and should see something on the screen from the BIOS.

The CPU is rarely bad from the factory. Assuming you did not put the CPU in the wrong orientation, I would suspect the PSU.

If you have a volt-ohm meter you can test output voltages under a minor load. If you have even a minimal powered known working PSU it can power a minimal build.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I don't think it's the CPU because POST won't work without a CPU installed. It could be the power supply since Haswell has a very low power state that older power supply models don't like, but that's very unlikely since the CPU is in maximum power state (usually) on boot and motherboard manufacturers said they'd disable entry to that state by default.

Except what confuses me here is that it does POST... just not when RAM is present.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:04 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

the PSU is a brand new Corsair RM 850..all fans power up the gpu's power up.

the 660 ti's were pulled from a working machine.

i even pulled the gpu's and tried with the onboard video..still no post...no beeps no nothing.

only time i get one long beep and two short beeps is when all the memory is out of the mobo.

ive tried with all 4 sticks in..ive tried with just one stick in in the A2 slot as per the mobo manual,and i tried each of the 4 sticks in the A2 slot with no luck.

i even pulled 1 stick of ram from the pc i'm entering this post on,and still no post.

this is the second motherboard with the same issue..the first one was rma'd with newegg..i guess its possible that i may have gotton 2 defective boards.

Last edited by dtischerd on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:06 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Did you try only one slot, or all of them?

And the video cable is fine ya?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

i tried the A1 and A2 slots with just a single stick

yes the cable is fine..i have plenty of new ones..both DVI and HDMI,and ive tried both.

also i have 2 known working monitors...and yes the speaker is plugged in.

there should be a thread on here called..I should've bought a cheaper board/thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:22 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well, let's chop the problem some more because we might be chasing after our own tail.

• Check the RAM on another computer
  • Check the PSU on another computer

If any one of those two fail, replace that. If both pass, return the motherboard and go find another. And yes, there's really no reason to spend more than $150 on a motherboard if you aren't going to use the features. My personal sweet spot is $100-$120, since you can still get a Z series chipset but you don't get the added expense of nice-to-haves that you may never use.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ok the ram in my new build is dual channel ram

the other memory i have is in this machine,and its an X58 platform..soo triple channel..not sure if i can just use 3 sticks on the dual channel ram

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:31 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You can, the computer doesn't care, usually. Although 3 sticks in a dual channel system will bring it down to single channel but we're just checking to see if it works.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:53 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ok i think its the ram..i put 3 sticks in in the proper slots in my x58 machine and first boot was a bsod and all the other tries it would hang at the welcome screen..never was fully able to get into windows.

i know for a fact that its the ram i just ran memtest and i quit after 7 errors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:50 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

so after 2 RMA's with the mobo and 1 RMA with the ram,and one RMA with the cpu..which Newegg totally destroyed the cpu,and would not honor the RMA,but Intel honored their warranty(thank God) it turns out all it was i had the standoffs for the Cooler Master Seidon 240M cooler too tight and was shorting out the ram..once i made the standoffs just barely snug..everything worked great!

for some reason it won't allow me to upload pics of the damaged cpu.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

dtischerd wrote:
.... Intel honored their warranty(thank God) it turns out all it was i had the standoffs for the Cooler Master Seidon 240M cooler too tight and was shorting out the ram..once i made the standoffs just barely snug...everything worked great!

for some reason it won't allow me to upload pics of the damaged cpu.

First glad to hear it worked out and thank you for the solution.

Usually clamping the cooler down too hard breaks the CPU wafer. I'm not sure how it shorts the RAM other than warping the MB maybe more than designed.

I am surprised Intel honored the CPU warranty. Nice to hear.

If I recall, you have to host the pics on a server (I use TinyPic at 640x480) and then link the (each) image to your post. [img]link%20here[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

here's the pics of the damaged i7 4770K which they said it was due to improper installation..i call bull crap!

and yea i am suprised Intel Honored the warranty aswell..once i gave them the tracking number for the damaged cpu..they freakin next day aired the new cpu! i received it yesterday..soo very happy!..Go Intel!!!

i did learn something out of all this..is to take pics of the item before i send it back for a RMA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:03 am 

dtischerd, Question: So the damage to the corner of the CPU was due to cranking down the screws on the cooler header (pump)too hard, or the stand offs that hold the bracket to the Motherboard were too tight? While building my system(s) I noticed printed circuit lines within the area (bracket area) where the bracket standoff's are mounted, and I wondered of they could short out the Motherboard if twisted too much while tightening. Specifically on the top of the board in the marked area next to the CPU. It seems I have not seen insulation included with the mounting kits.

I've installed only Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO's and Corsair H80i cooler.

Thank You for posting your problem so that other builders can learn :D

Last edited by averagejoe2 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 am 

dtischerd, What is that gray stuff on CPU, opposite the damaged corner?