Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 5.1 Surround Audio Transitioning
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

Hi guys, hopefully someone has an answer for this. I think I might have an idea of what the problem is, but if anyone has any alternatives I'm open to trying stuff. So anyways, whenever I play games that support 5.1 audio output (Skyrim, the last couple of Assassin's Creed games, Dungeon Defenders, etc.) I noticed that the sounds don't transition smoothly from the left to the right and vice versa. Basically, an NPC could be talking to the right of my character, and I'll hear them in my right speakers, but if I move around so that they are on my left, the sound I guess 'clips' from one side to the other, like a sudden change. No smooth transitioning at all. If I'm centered with them, I still only hear their voice out of one side at a time. Any sounds or audio that are not location dependent play just fine (like background music). Also, in Skyrim, I've also noticed a faint tone quality change from speaker to speaker, almost like there is some kind of filter effect on certain speakers. I should probably also mention that my speakers are actually a 5.1 surround headset. It is true surround, not simulated, as it has the three 3.5mm jacks for front, center/sub/ rear (plus another for mic).

The headset is a CM Storm Sirus S (not the one with the USB sound card puck thing)
http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/audio/sirus_S/

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, running audio through my motherboard, which is this-
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A88V_EVO/

The motherboard is capable of up to 8 channel audio, and I have all the most recent relevant bios/driver updates. The only thing I can think of at this point is that maybe this is just a limitation of an integrated sound chip, and that the only way to correct this is to get a discrete sound card.

Post subject: Re: 5.1 Surround Audio Transitioning
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:19 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Run a surround sound check on it, particularly using individual channels and a test loop (like some sound circling your head test). Also make sure you're not using any audio enhancements. You can also make sure each channel on the headphones are functioning properly by plugging one jack into the front stereo output.