Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: GPU Inferno
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:14 am 

I've noticed that my display drivers crash after a while when under the duress of a CryEngine 3 game, MechWarrior Online. I originally thought that it was due to poorly optimized code from the developers of that game, as I couldn't get those issues in any other game or benchmark, but now I'm starting to wonder. My GPUs are in crossfire, a XFX 6870 and a XFX 6850. The 6870 has only an inch or so between its fan and the back of the 6850.

I disabled crossfire and, after a while, I get the disp driver crashes. Sometimes they're so severe that I have to reset my machine. I then reverted to stock clocks (memory was up 200 Mhz, same as the 6850) and, sure enough, I still get crashes. I've noticed that the GPU activity reaches the upper 90s in this game and that the temperature of the GPU regularly gets into the 80 degree Celsius range (which seems to be the safety threshold), despite the fan running almost full-bore.

I've got as many fans in my case as it has mounts (though I've discovered that the dust filter on my intake fan is not easily removable for cleaning...). What can I do to put out the conflagration that is raging on my GPU?

Post subject: Re: GPU Inferno
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you updated the drivers?

What version are you using and what procedure do you use to update your drivers?

You may have created a vacuum with the configuration of fans pushing air in and out of the case....if it is done wrong.

One thing you could try is take the pc's side off and place a house fan on full speed aimed at the video cards. If you are able to play without the video cards crashing. The fans on the video cards may be dieing and not running at full speed.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 pm 

I seem to have resolved my issue. Putting a desk fan to evacuate the air from behind my case helped but running the case with its side off completely solved the issue. I realized that I'd been remiss in cleaning my intake fan's dust filter, as it didn't look dirty, but there was dust so compressed against it that it was denser than gold. Scraped that filth outta there and now I can game with the case closed and the GPUs overclocked.

Thanks for the advice.

Sadly I'm now suspecting that crossfiring a weaker card with a stronger card has led to my stronger card never being fully optimized as the weaker card pegs the AMD activity log @ 99% but when that happens the stronger card is only @ ~92%. Still better than just one weak card though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I kind of thought it was a heat issue, the house fan in the side usually tells if it (heat) is the issue or not. :D

Glad it was something simple!

In Crossfire the larger card will always throttle down to the slower card, like you said you got a small speed boost anyway.

Nasty