Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win7 all of a sudden look like XP
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:06 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey guys,

I have been having trouble with my memory lately so I ran the Win7 memory checker. My system shut down and the memory check was working. It got about 50% done and I had to abort the test by pressing 'ESC' (wife NEEDED something from the hard drive). When windows rebooted it is all weird. It looks almost like safe mode with a square start button and no fancy buttons (kinda like win95). The worst part is that nothing works, it no longer sees my network, the sound card is not working. I have no idea how to fix this and am looking for some guidance.

I also found out that I must have turned off system restore at some point (maybe when I installed my SSD) so that is not an option.

Any help would be awesome.

If you need any other information please let me know.

Phad

Post subject: Re: Win7 all of a sudden look like XP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Boot up a Mint or Ubuntu LiveCD and see if it is hardware or OS problem. Poor graphics = hardware problem. Good graphics = OS or HDD.

I am guessing it will be hardware since you seemed to be having problems with it. Whatever it was likely failed.

I am guessing either graphics (including monitor), OS/drivers (including malware) or hard drive surface hence the safe mode or safe mode appearance. Secondary would be PSU, MB or CPU.

Cheap tests: Remove 1 stick of RAM and run on the other. No change, try the other stick.

Boot up and run the boot drive maker's free diag test app if boot version available. Backup drive image before accepting or trying a fix. Be prepared to write an error code down if generated. If a flash drive is already installed pre-boot you may be able to write results to it.

Boot up and run memtest86 (v4) or memtest86+ (v5). 7 passes w/o error = pass. Can run overnight so wife isn't disturbed as long as PC not in bedroom.

Unplug all non-essential peripherals.

Post subject: Re: Win7 all of a sudden look like XP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:24 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thank you. I will give it a shot.