Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MB Failure - Now trying to recoever PW Protected Documents
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:08 pm 

My old computer, a Compaq from 199X, died on me last week. So I built another one, the problem is that I am trying to recover files and documents from My Documents folder but I had my account Password protected through Windows and I can not access the folder. Anyone know a way around this? I tried using the old hard drive as my new primary drive on my new computer but it only crashes on me on every type of boot (safe mode, last known good config, normally, etc.).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Ronnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:19 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Assuming this was NT/2000/XP you could just take ownership of the folder through the admin account.

How did you lock them to begin with??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:53 pm 

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was using Windows XP SP1. I had Password protected my account, so no one else could use it. Since it was password protected, it protected all files in C:\Documents and Settings\Ronnie. Anyways, my computer died and from trying to fix it, I'm figuring the MB went out (The computer wouldn't even post). So I built a new computer and I connected my old hard drive as a secondary hard drive and tried to remove the files out of the directory but it told me that directory was password protected. So now how do I get into that damn directory? I tried removing my new hard drive and replaced it w/ my old one, so it would boot as my old OS as my primary but it wouldnt let me!

So now I'm not sure how to get into C:\Documents and Settings\Ronnie since I'm not able to log onto the account and change the damn password to nothing to unprotect the directory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:16 pm 

RonnieGill wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

You were specific enough and Furball's information was right on. You need to take ownership of the files, but I'd recommend the drive so you don't run into anything else later.

First, display the Security Tab.

To display the Security tab
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended].

Second, take Ownership.

To take ownership of a file or folder
Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.
Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Change owner to box, click the new owner.
(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

You can also take ownership of the drive. If you select the drive and check the Replace ownder on subcontainers and objects you will get everything.