Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: USB Device (Tablet) Not Recognized In Windows 8.1
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:45 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi All,

I just have a couple quick questions to run by you guys and gals. I have a Tablet that I got for $20 after rebates and it is actually quite capable for what I need it for. It is an Azend Envizen Maxmade v7011. The USB Cable it came with was very short (maybe 12 inches) and worked, letting me share files between Tablet and PC, until the end got stripped off the second day I owned it. Every Micro USB cable I use now does not work with my Tablet and says "USB Device Not Recognized" in the devices section of my Control Panel. I have updated the firmware on the Tablet (which runs Android 4.1.1) from a file I got off of Azend's web site, but there are no additional drivers on Azend's site to download for anything else. Do you guys have a solution on how I can get my PC to recognize my Tablet? I have tried with basic Windows 8 and now with Windows 8.1 but the upgrade to Windows doesn't seem to have helped the situation. Also one more minor thing, and this is just a small quirk, but ever since upgrading to Windows 8.1 my total and remaining HDD space is not listed in the "This PC" (Known in the past as "My Computer") section of the file explorer below my USB External Hard Drive. The Bar showing the capacity is displayed just not the actual numbers displaying total capacity and capacity remaining. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: USB Device (Tablet) Not Recognized In Windows 8.1
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

There are 4 different types of Micro-B cables/connectors: Full-duplex, Half-duplex, power-only, and data-only. There are also proprietary Micro-B connectors with Full-duplex and Half-duplex with either power or no power options. The wire count between these can change from 2-5.

Since these are not labeled in most cases when you buy from the "cheapest you can find" vendors they rarely care to sort their stock since they don't bother to claim which they have.

A Full-duplex cable will be able to sync and charge but a Half-duplex cable will not charge even tho all the power leads are fine. Most older devices work fine on Half-duplex(cheaper) cables.

It is not uncommon for a Full-duplex cable to have one or more leads within the cable to fail and older devices charge fine still. Good quality Full-duplex cables are noticeably thick. The thin Full-duplex cables supplied with devices don't last long because the wires are very thin and flexing will break them easy.

Hope this can clear it up a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:53 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks, nsvander.

I will order a Full Duplex cable then. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

USB from 2.0 below physically is a half-duplex bus, regardless of connector type.

Unless we're talking about USB 3.0, then it allows for full-duplex.