Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: APC Battery Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:45 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have one of those big, black boxes you plug your electronics into. Sends a nice, clean electric signal to your gear and also prevents sudden shut down after a sudden loss of electricity to your house.

I actually heard the transformer blow just now outside. As the house lost electricity, I assumed my gear would stay on but it did not. The APC box has worked before a few times so it's not defective.

When I thought about how it works, I came to one possible conclusion. The box charges up it's battery, then goes into "battery" mode which is how it survives the sudden loss of electricity to the house. Am I correct in guessing that I just had the bad luck of the electricity going out while the box was charging it's battery? Hopefully someone that knows about these boxes could reply. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: APC Battery Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:28 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have several of these around the house. There is a 'self check' that the unit performs to see if the battery needs replacement. The battery stays charged to a nominal level so that the unit can do its job at any time.

With that, you might check to be sure your computer and components are plugged in to a socket on the unit dedicated to 'Protection'. Some outlets are only filtered output without the back up feature. I check my units from time to time by unplugging them. If the protected components stay running, the unit is OK. It will also give some sort of audible warning that power has been interrupted when it is unplugged. Some back up units even have a USB connection to you computer so that with the correct software, you can check its performance.

Should your unit fail the unplugging test, it may be time to get a new unit. Go to the APC web site: http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13 and search for your unit. You should be able to read up on the specifics of your unit. It might even have some sort of warranty remaining or there might be some sort of trade in deal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

With the past three APC backup units I've owned, the battery ended up not being able to hold a charge, so they did not work when the power failed.
The last one I had started clicking and clattering and shutting the computer down without warning even with the mains power still ON.
I finally gave up on APC and now I just use a dedicated surge suppressor because I get the same results for far less money.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If your UPS did not maintain the running PC then it has failed badly.

The lead-acid batteries are supposed to be replaced every few years (recommended length=2-4 yrs). I replace them usually after the alarm starts to go off signally it fails its power up test. My batteries last usually 3-4 years before a waring light comes on. I usually ignore it until the audible alert starts up. But if I lived in an area with frequent blackouts and needed more than just a couple of minutes and enough time to save and shutdown I would replace sooner.

The fact that you didn't even receive an alert when the power came back on may mean the problem was with the UPS unit and not the battery. Did you do "the test" upon initial installations? Otherwise how do you know your UPS ever worked? "The test" = power up the PC and equipment plugged into the UPS then yank the cord out of the wall. It should wail but the PC should never miss a beat.

Keeping the PC from losing work or allowing automated shutting down during a brief loss of power is one primary purpose of a UPS, but its other is to prevent over-voltage and under-voltage (both common in US electric grid) from reaching the PC and accessories (i.e, clean up power).

Last edited by FascistNation on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:34 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My fault. Was plugged into strip outlet. Few other things are in the APC.