Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Valve phishing Social Security information via Steam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:33 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Steam users have been reporting requests for Social Security information that are appearing within the Steam client software; however, Valve moderators are locking down any such threads in the Steam forums, apparently to keep this information out of the public eye. Steam users reporting the Social Security requests are told that they must have sold a large number of items within the Steam Community Marketplace and Social Security information is needed for tax purposes. And yet these users are insisting they have never sold anything through Steam and that the request must be a mistake, or worse.

I think it behooves Steam users to know this is happening, although Valve obviously does not want this information out.

Valve moderators arbitrarily cite a policy forbidding the discussion of Steam account issues in the Steam forums, although most account discussions are not locked down, nor do they receive moderator attention within minutes of creation. Combine this with the newly-added EULA agreements banning class action lawsuits, and Steam becomes more dangerous by the day.

What does Valve want with Social Security information, and why are they resorting to trickery to get it?

Post subject: Re: Valve phishing Social Security information via Steam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The answer I've been getting is because if you're making money, this is taxable income, and therefore, you SSN is needed for tax reasons.

Plus the topics I've found are very vague about how they were contacted. Email? Then sure, always assume it's a phishing scheme. On Steam itself? Well I'd like to believe that if they posted a picture. Through steampowered.com? Did they actually make sure the URL is legitimate? If you never used the marketplace, then ignore the request.

Also you do realize that often times class action lawsuits are a joke. I've been eligible to receive payouts from two of them (one from Dell because I bought a laptop with an 8600M GT which supposedly had a really high failure rate and from TurboTax from taking a service fee out of my refund directly), but what do I get? Like $30 or so and I lose the right to either hold a class action against the company again or file a lawsuit on the matter. I forget, too much legalese. Class action lawsuits have less reward the more people file a claim.

If you don't like their business practices, boycott them and take your business elsewhere.

On something kind of related, kind of not, pretty much a lot of businesses I've applied for are "at will", meaning you can't join a union and they can fire you if they feel like for no reason whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I've read the request appears in the Steam client software itself, on the Account Details page, just under one's email information. Any monkey knows an unsolicited email is a scam.

Yes, it could be a glitch. It could be some rogue asshole and not the whole company. But someone should at least look into it.

Whatever the case, my experience has been that when companies become defensive right off the bat, something foul is going on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:26 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Based on absolutely nothing I'd say that they've been compromised and are defensive because they don't want to admit it. Again, pure speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

So here's the thing.

If you sell anything online and make over $20,000 or sell over 200 items, then the third party whom you've used to do business with is required to send a 1099-K form to you so you can report your earnings to the IRS. And guess what? Such tax forms require your SSN (although you may substitute for an Employ ID number, which you get through the government, blah blah blah. Talk to H&R Block).

So Valve is fine asking for your SSN if you've been selling stuff on Steam. If you haven't then it may be a goof on their end and you can just ignore it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:21 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Oh, come on Latios. You ruin everything with your "well researched facts" and "actual knowledge" and "logical thought process" and "rational inferences".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Because FUD is reserved for stuff like 4chan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Here they come....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:56 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

LOL

Now Valve is banning from their forums users who bring up the request for Social Security numbers.

What a crock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

... You know, if people would read the fucking FAQ like they're supposed to, it clearly states the following:

Quote:
However, the United States Internal Revenue Service, under Section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code, requires us to collect certain information from you if you engage in more than 200 separate sales transactions in a calendar year. In particular, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide us with your name, address and Social Security Number...

Though to be fair, the question isn't indexed and can be found after https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... strictions .Also they could be banning these people because they're spamming the forums with FUD. Like you.

Again, if you believe that this is in error, either because you never participated in the marketplace or had too low of a transaction count for this to apply to you, or you don't live in the US and they ask for an SSN, then take action and explain to them via email or something that this doesn't apply to you. Don't go to the forums and say "Valve is asking for my SSN, they're a bunch of ID thieves!" You really think that they're going to like that when they have a legitimate reason to ask for your SSN?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Who do you work for, exactly? Your heightened level of concern is out of bounds for anyone not directly involved in Valve Software. It actually has been on a number of occasions.

Last edited by tehR0XX0Rz on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

tehR0XX0Rz wrote:
Who do you work for, exactly?

Your mom.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:40 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Poor thing. Is that the best you got?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

tehR0XX0Rz wrote:

I would find something more witty to say, but it'd probably lost on idiots like you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:45 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

That's cute. But, again, your emotional response kinda gives you away. Valve employees really have the time to troll magazine forums?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

>Proves OP wrong
>Provides reasonable way to resolve issue
>Gets called a "trolling Valve employee"

Oh lordy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:56 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Then why are you so angry? Seriously? Cussing, name-calling. You're actually having a tantrum. Why?

Seems like you have more invested in this than you are letting on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm not angry. What gave you that idea?

Cussing? That was a precision F-strike.

Calling names? Sure. But you stooped down to that level.

Tantrum? Nah.

I'm just bored. And you seem to consistently respond.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Here's what I think:

Someone over there decided to get away with something and got caught. And you guys are doing everything you can to make sure no one ever knows about it. Or puts much stock in it, anyway.

You responded to my earlier post in short order, almost as if you were expecting it. And you surely got yourself all worked up. I mean, I wasn't angry, spewing obscenities or insults. I was laughing about the situation. But not you. You were really pissed, and all you could do was recite the company line about 200 sales and $2000, even when it was made clear long ago that these people had never come close to touching those numbers.

Who spouts the company line? Someone who works for the company.

Maybe you're just angry you don't control every forum in the world?

Yeah, that's what I think.

Now, who's the idiot?

Good night, and God bless.

LatiosXT wrote:
... You know, if people would read the fucking FAQ like they're supposed to, it clearly states the following:

Quote:
However, the United States Internal Revenue Service, under Section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code, requires us to collect certain information from you if you engage in more than 200 separate sales transactions in a calendar year. In particular, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide us with your name, address and Social Security Number...

Though to be fair, the question isn't indexed and can be found after https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... strictions .Also they could be banning these people because they're spamming the forums with FUD. Like you.

Again, if you believe that this is in error, either because you never participated in the marketplace or had too low of a transaction count for this to apply to you, or you don't live in the US and they ask for an SSN, then take action and explain to them via email or something that this doesn't apply to you. Don't go to the forums and say "Valve is asking for my SSN, they're a bunch of ID thieves!" You really think that they're going to like that when they have a legitimate reason to ask for your SSN?

LatiosXT wrote:
tehR0XX0Rz wrote:
Who do you work for, exactly?

Your mom.

LatiosXT wrote:
tehR0XX0Rz wrote:

I would find something more witty to say, but it'd probably lost on idiots like you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:08 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Alright kids, go to your corners. I'm calling a time out. Don't make me get out the belt. :evil: