Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can't delete folder in Windows 8 Pro
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:49 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this. I am trying to delete a Macromedia Flash folder named "Macromed" in the Windows/System32 folder. It says I do not have the privileges to delete it. It is a plug-in for Firefox and is causing errors. I tried taking control of the folder but nothing has worked. I have Windows 8 Pro and can not find any useful information on this through Google. I hope one of you can help. Thanks in advance.

My System:

Windows 8 Pro
Intel Haswell 4670K CPU @ 4.6GHZ
16GB DDR3 2400MHZ RAM
Dual GTX 660 Video Cards
500GB Samsung SSD
2TB 7200RPM HDD

Post subject: Re: Can't delete folder in Windows 8 Pro
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Try one of these three in order if the last one doesn't work.
  • Have you tried uninstalling it through the normal channels?
  • Start up Command Prompt as an administrator and user the "rmdir /S /Q C:\Windows\System32\Macromed" command. You may want to navigate to System32 first to minimize human errors inputting the correct path.
  • Enter recovery mode by either pressing Right Shift + F8 when booting, or create a recovery USB thumbstick, and boot into it. Once in recovery mode, go to Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command prompt. You'll need to local where C:\ actually is, and is usually the next partition after the last hard drive partition you have (so if you normally have a C:\ and D:\ drive, C:\ in the recovery environment may have moved to E:\). Then type in that command I previously posted with the corrected path.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi Latios,

I tried uninstalling it through the control panel 'uninstall' section but it is not listed. I tried what you said, using the command prompt, but have had no luck. When I boot to command prompt it is defaulted at "X:\windows\system32>" and typing the line of instructions you gave me didn't work. What do you think? And thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You're supposed to figure out where C:\ really is first in the recovery environment. Whatever I put in there was an example and I have no idea how your computer is set up. It could be C:\, it could be D:\. I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I tried G:\ and C:\ to no avail. My computer is set up with C:\ being the default hard drive that windows is installed on, D:\ being a data hard drive, E:\ being a blu-ray disc drive, and F:\ being an external data USB drive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:15 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you tried to update flash player? That may solve your problem. If not, uninstall Flash Player from Control Panel>Programs and Features. You will loose a lot of functionality from within your browsers.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:04 am 
Klamath
Klamath

The first thing I did was try to uninstall it through the control panel's uninstall feature but it was not listed there. I just updated it through Adobe's site, I'll see if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the suggestions/help guys. Just wanted to be sure to thank you all because you always assist me with my computer problems and it is much appreciated. I updated flash and haven't had any errors again.