Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Corrupted SSD ??
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just build a PC for my dad with these main parts as a desktop.
i5 4430
Asus B85M-E/ CSM mobo
Corsair DDR3 1600mhz 8GB
128Gb SanDisk U Plus SSD

I installed WIn7 x86. updated windows, updated drivers, installed quickbooks, Office. Restored backup data files for those applications. All was good. tested applications, printed docs. No problems.
Left the computer on and went home, system was in an office. Some applications were left open.
Came back the next day. Very little was still working. Some programs would open and work, calculator, notepad, Word. Others would not open at all, quickbooks, Excel. Windows itself seems to work. Reinstalling broken applications did not solve any issues.
Screen saver and power balance settings were left as install defaults.
This is the first time I've used a SanDisk SSD. Ive build a lot of systems but this is the first time I've seen this behavior.
Suggestions.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Corrupted SSD ??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:59 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you check for firmware updates for that ssd? The updates fix issues like this. I just updated my drive and the performance went up a notch in throughput.

Is your motherboard firmware, "BIOS" up to date, once again it will help with issues like this.

I hope you shut off the defragger! It will eventually shorten the life of the drive if not kill it outright. Win 7 has "trash collection" or "Trim" to keep the drive factory fresh.

Is windows fully update, there are a lot of updates for win 7. You have to run it several times to get it fully updated.

Are you using an anti-virus? I use Microsoft Essentials along with Malewarebytes and win 7's firewall. That stops most of it...but it is the nut behind the wheel that brings in the virii... :mrgreen:

Nasty