Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Won't boot from HD after OS install
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:25 pm 

I am totally out of ideas here. I have a all NEW Biostar MCP6P M2+ mobo and a gig ram and decent amd processor. I have 2 used 160gb drives that I have run Darik's boot and Nuke on with no problems. Here is the problem I install the OS from a legit Window$ CD and it installs fine no problem but then it goes to reboot after the install and then it just hangs there with a flashing " - " or if the CD is in the drive it just stops at "press any button to boot from CD" and never does anything. I have the bios set to boot from cd first then HD second so I tried setting it to HD first and same thing. I checked and I do have the HD set as master and nothing else on the cable.
Things I tried:
used only 1 HD and 1 CD Drive
Used a SATA drive then tried a IDE drive
reset the CMOS
changed cables both the IDE then SATA
Tried Windows 7 then formated drive and tried XP on both drives.

:?: :?: :?:

Post subject: Re: Won't boot from HD after OS install
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

During the SATA install ... did you add the SATA drivers via a floppy or thumb drive? If you didn't it will give you what you see. During the install of XP hit F6 when it prompts you to in the ticker tape at the bottom of the install screen, then follow the instructions further into the install to add the drivers and it should boot. In win 7 it gives you the option to add Drivers during the install, use a usb drive to do this. If this is an old motherboard you will need the drivers loaded because win 7 may not have them in the driver quay it has. Is the drive set as active for both the IDE and the SATA install?

Do you have your drive properly jumpered if they are IDE drives for master and master with slave? Read the top of the drive for the proper pins to jumper. All manufactures don't jumper them the same.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:30 pm 

Here is another thought - during your set-up, did you set your SATA controller to ACHI or IDE? If you are using older HD's, they might not support ACHI. When you installed Win7, were you given the choice of ACHI or IDE? If you have your HD's set to run in IDE mode, your SATA controller must be set to IDE or your system will not boot. You can change the setting in your BIOS by getting to your BIOS, then finding where your SATA options are and set them to IDE and try to boot again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:33 pm 

As I mentioned I did set the IDE drive to master before I started. I'm not sure if it's clear but I am only using 1 drive at a time to test. The Motherboard is brand new like I mentioned and I only tried windows 7 on the SATA. I would think the OS would not even install if the drivers were not there. I did find a bios update since my first post and I did it and now if you look at the picture this is where it stops now.

Last edited by Z0MBIE on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:42 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Is it possible to up date BIOS?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:47 pm 

Like I said in my last post with picture. I did update the bios.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 pm 

Are you trying to boot from a SATA drive or a parallel port drive ( IDE drive )? If you are trying to boot from an older IDE-type , your set-up appears to be correct. If you are trying to boot from a SATA drive, be sure to have your SATA ports enabled in your BIOS. If they are set to disabled, the HD will not be seen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:54 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Try disconnecting the HD and optical drive and see if it gets you any further (like insert a drive and press any key)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 am 

Talked to tec and sending mobo back. Thanks everyone.