Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SLI & 2 monitors - issues and questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:43 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So this is my first attempt at SLI. I have two MSi 670 GTX.

Before I get too far into the issue, maybe I should preface that I have 2 different monitors. Both monitors have VGA and HDMI (they do not have DVI) connections. Here are the monitors and setup:
Left Monitor (Primary): 28" Hannspree HF289H is connected via HDMI
Right Monitor (Secondary): 28" Hannspree HSG1075 HDTV/Monitor is connected via VGA

Most my work is done on the Left side and the right side is used as an extended desktop where I can show information I may need handy, or in most cases I'm running a movie or TV show while I work. Few other bits of information about my computer:
Windows 7 64 bit
MSi z87 G45 motherboard
8 GB RAM (though I don't think that plays a factor in this)

Ideally, what I want to do is utilize SLI when I game and use the 2 monitor setup I have for everything else.

Silly me, I thought SLI was just inserting both cards and linking them with the SLI bridge. So I've learned through trial and error and I can duplicate the screens, but I cannot have the extended desktop. When I try to set up the SLI, the right side (the TV/Monitor) goes blank and says "NOT SUPPORT!" which is different than "No signal." I've provided an image below:

What's weird is the computer can "see" the monitor as it is recognized in nVidia's control panel and Win 7. I tried extending the desktop with Win 7 - no luck. I tried disabling SLI - no luck. I uninstalled the drivers, cleaned the drivers off with guru3d and re-installed the drivers - no luck. I did notice that when I fiddle with the settings long enough the system eventually loses the ability to recognize the TV/Monitor and it only shows one monitor.

After much wrangling, I couldn't get the setup to work, so I removed the bridge, but the problem remained. I removed the 2nd card, problem remained. I ultimately had to do a clean install to correct the problem (I probably didn't have to go THAT far, but since it was a new build it was easier than researching the problem until I could find the answer).

So I have several questions, but some of the basic questions are:
  • Can I use SLI like I want? Use it on a single monitor when gaming, but have 2 monitors when I'm doing everything else (and not use SLI)
  • Can I do this with the 2 monitors I have?
  • What's the proper way to setup the monitors?
  • What's the proper way to install SLI cards? For example, I have one in right now. When I add the second, should I uninstall the 1st in the Device Manager, insert the 2nd GPU, then boot up the computer and have them recognize both GPUs at once, or some other way?

I apologize for the long topic, but I wanted to get as much information as possible out there so we can resolve this issue quickly.

I appreciate your assistance in this.

Post subject: Re: SLI & 2 monitors - issues and questions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

This might help steer you in the right direction

::EDIT::

Also make sure you are using 320.49 or higher drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

i definitly think your missing somthing.

i am running 2 monitors..a 27" as main.

and a 19" to monitor things.

i am running Asus 2x660Ti's in SLI..with no issues whatsoever!

also i'm still on the X58 mobo setup...upgrading soon.

also both my cards are connected via DVI on the same card..i bet that makes a difference.

i have both monitors connected to the first video card...the one on top!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:44 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thank you. I think both of you may have identified part of my problem.

The monitor showing the issues (the one on the right) is using a VGA connection with a DVI adapter. According to the surround website, the connections need to be attached via display port, HDMI, or DVI but I have a feeling using an adapter doesn't count.

As mentioned earlier, I have HDMI and VGA on both monitor. So connecting 1 HDMI will be no problem. I also think a display port/HDMI adapter would work...BUT...I don't have one. So I need to get one if I want to pursue this SLI.

I appreciate your assistance with this. I will keep you posted.