Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it the mobo that answers DHCP?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 am 

This networking issue has me at an absolute loss. To try and quickly summarize, I lost LAN to my home desktop (Win7 x64. Mobo: Biostar TPower x79). Wireless worked, so I replaced my aging router with an Asus N66U (Modem is a Motorola Surfboard of some generation I forget). LAN worked for about a day, but then I lost it again. Crap, my port on the desktop is going bad? So I purchased a cheap PCIE NIC. Nothing (installed and reinstalled drivers over and over). Tried a USB to ethernet adapter after installing drivers. Nope. (I should clarify that I cannot hit the router. It detects a cable, but sits on unidentified network. Swapped multiple cables just in case as well as ports on the router. Other desktops on the network work fine with the same cable and port for extended periods). Well, I need to learn to support Win8 anyways, so I'll take the time to wipe the machine completely and start over in case it helps. It did not. Even booted into Ubuntu from a disk to see if it was Windows. No Change. Works if I plug directly into the modem, but I haven't done that for an extended time as there are others that need the network too.

Went in and cleared the ARP cache to see if it pulled up the MAC of the router. Nothing. Inserted the MAC and IP into the arp table manually. No Change. Changed the MAC address of one of my ports, reset the router to factor defaults (again), tried the old router, flashed the Mobo's BIOS, installed and re-installed dozens of network drivers, changed the DNS servers to Google's both on client and in router (in different patterns), and tried different physical adapters. Finally I looked through the router logs and installed wireshark on my PC. My PC sits at { What is 192.168.1.1? Tell *My IP Address*}. Last thing the router gives out is DHCPOFFER. I absolutely cannot get the PC to accept a LAN line. I currently use a USB wireless receiver (unplugged when I'm troubleshooting the issue) which works fine (though at reduced speeds which makes me an unhappy camper).

So, TL;DR and knowing that there's been a lot of steps at play here, my core question is what hardware piece specifically (assuming mobo; any further detail would be awesome) answers networking requests? I've already spent a bit of money trying to solve this issue, so I'm trying to be certain going forward (I unfortunately do not have a spare 2011 socket mobo to swap in). The only other weird symptom I can throw in is that when I set my PC to a static IP or DNS, the windows in both Win7 and Win8 go into not responding with an eventual COM SURROGATE has stopped responding...

I appreciate any feedback! My knowledge is spotty at best and not without blindspots when it comes to networking...

Post subject: Re: Is it the mobo that answers DHCP?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:28 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This is just an assumption, but when a device joins the network, it will either ask the router for an IP address (which is DHCP) or it'll attempt to join based on values that were set by the user.

Would be useful to know if other devices can join the network, so we can cut the problem in half.

Post subject: Re: Is it the mobo that answers DHCP?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:30 pm 

There doesn't seem to be any issue with other devices getting on the network. 3 other desktops connected via LAN and a variety of cell phones, tablets, and game consoles via wireless. The 3 desktops don't have a probably connecting via static or dynamic IP. Mine, however, can do neither. Tried having the router assign my desktop a static IP via it's MAC address, but it never sees it come online.