Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I use a second SSD as a data drive?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:18 pm 

Well here's my problem, if you can call it that. Through an unfortunate set of circumstances, involving the United States Postal Service, I have an extra 256 gig mSATA SSD. No, it wasn't free. That's what makes it unfortunate. Anyway, I would like to install it in my new gaming laptop as a data drive for the installation of games. My laptop is currently set up with a 256 gig mSATA SSD as the boot/C drive and a 750 gig 7200 rpm HDD for other data, photos, etc. Is this practical and would there be any problems with designating paths, etc. which I really don't want to contend with? And yes, I do have room for an additional mSATA drive along with another HDD.

Advice and instructions on the best way to set it up would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Can I use a second SSD as a data drive?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's nobody saying you can't. Though if possible use it for programs. Files like documents, images, and videos have no real benefit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'd agree using it for prgorams might be ok but on documents and such you also especially if you edit them or add more will use up the number of read write uses before the drive wears out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 am 

I used the wrong term in my original post. I do not want to use the second SSD for data but for games (programs). Somebody needs to develop a program like spell check only it corrects "This is what I said, but this is what I meant to say" content.

So, there shouldn't be any problem? Would a game automatically do the game saves to the correct drive or would settings have to be adjusted. I just don't want the saves to be defaulted to the C drive.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Unfortunately most games save to your Documents folder, and there's no way to change this. And most configuration data saves to the %APPDATA%/Roaming folder or for whatever dumbass reason C:\ProgramData (Codemaster games do this, and they don't clean up after themselves :T). And again, there's no way to change this.

Well, actually, I lie, there is, with some OS trickery called symlinks.

And if you want to transfer Steam games over without reinstalling or whatnot: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=237800