Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can more robust machines impact lesser machines on network?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 am 

On a large LAN, can the introduction of newer, more robust machines have an adverse affect on the performance of older, less powerful machines?

At my local library they have a Lan of approx 144 public access workstations, and when the Lan was made up of roughly half Dell Optiplex 520's and half Dell Optiplex 755's I noticed that certain graphic intensive online games would run okay on the 755's but would slow to a crawl if you attempted to play on one of the 520's.

Recently, they replaced the 520's with Dell Optiplex 7010's, and now those same games that once ran fine on the 755's now slow those very same machines to a crawl, but run fine on the newer 7010's

What is puzzling about this, is that the games that once ran fine on the 755's, now bog those very same machines down, the only thing that has changed is that they are no longer the most robust machines on the Lan.

Curious.

Post subject: Re: Can more robust machines impact lesser machines on netwo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

It shouldn't, but it depends on how QoS was negotiated. What if you try running the program on another computer?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 pm 

Ok this is odd, the only possible reason would be if there is a certain network type thats prioritizing bandwith to particular machines but even this should only happen if all machines are in use. Do you know the type of protocols they are using?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:02 pm 

Thanks for the responses. :)

I wish i did have access to more info on the topography, but they keep configuration info under lock and key, and the only tech staff available to the public are the folks who are here to tell you how to format word documents, etc , and they know nothing about the hardware. When you do try to talk to one of the real IT people, they give you this look like "OMG one of the monkeys is trying to speak" because they have no responsibility to the general public.

The games run fine on a home broadband connection with an I3 or Athlon 64 type machine, it's just odd how at the library the slower machines seem to bog down trying to load all the graphics on the screen, typically taking 3-5 minutes for all graphic elements to populate, whereas the same screen with all elements will load in 5-10 seconds on one of the newer machines.

You get the feeling on one of the slower machines like you're being crowded away from the server, as though you're being dealt an extremely thin time slice...

FWIW, 3 or so years ago when the LAN was made up of 520's and 755's running Windows XP pro, everything seemed to run fine. Then they rolled out Win7 pro onto all of the machines, and the 520's ran like junk ever after, typically taking more than 5 minutes just to reboot.. Since the 755's were running fine, I just figured this was a RAM issue for the 520's.

But, when they replaced the 520's with 7010's (also running Win 7 pro), and the performance of the 755's immediately went down to garbage, I was puzzled ....to say the least.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm 

I honestly think this makes very little sense because the changing one half the PCs to a new model should never cause older models to preform worse.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 pm 

Well, it has happened. Had I not been on the receiving end I would not have believed it, either.

"Why" is the mystery.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Are you 100% certain they are actually running slower, or is this a case of having used the new machines and seeing how fast they work and getting used to it, then getting on an older machine even though they load the same as they use to, because the perception of the new machine still in your mind, seem all that much slower?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 pm 

nsvander wrote:
Are you 100% certain they are actually running slower, or is this a case of having used the new machines and seeing how fast they work and getting used to it, then getting on an older machine even though they load the same as they use to, because the perception of the new machine still in your mind, seem all that much slower?

I assure you with 100% confidence that perception is NOT the culprit here. Previously the games ran satisfactorily on the 755's when they were the best on the wire. Now playing fields that once loaded in 10 (+/-) seconds can take 30+ seconds and often fail to load entirely, if at all.

I'm suspicious if perhaps the overhead of supervisory software these machines carry might be the culprit? Not knowing the topography, but I get the impression that the "decency" filters, and the firewalls in place to protect the local host from both the intranet as well as the internet are run centrally , so perhaps the stronger machines dispense with that stuff in short order, monopolizing the connection, while slower machines have to contend for access? Just an uninformed hunch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 pm 

I suspect more likely it's a network bandwith prioritization. This or some lack of load balancing thats kicking about bandwith in weird ways. I'll have to look up likely protocols but typically thats what will do this for online stuff. I doubt the firewalls or such suddenly became more resource intensive and if it's centrally run it'd take up resources on the system acting as the wall or running it if it's software not a hardware one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:59 am 

Just for the sake of comparison, the games in question work just fine over an 802.11g connection to a 2.3 Ghz I3 machine. Never so much as a hiccup.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:07 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I would take a guess that both sets of machines are running at different speeds to the router the new ones with G and the old ones at a lesser speed. the router may not be able to handle both speeds at the same time. just a guess.