Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Faulty Motherboard???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:59 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've been on these forums, but unfortunately I'm back with a problem :(

First, I'll start out with listing my specs:

Core 2 Quad Q9450
MSI P45 Platinum
Saphire Radeon HD 5850
1x Samsung Spinpoint F1 tb
Corsair Force 120gb sata 2 ssd
1x WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Silverstone 700w PSU
Corsair Liquid Cooler
4gb gskill ddr2 800
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I was never able to OC my computer, whenever I tried, the computer would lock up or blue screen from time to time, so I just decided to stay stock for the last 4+ years I've had the computer. Recently, I found that MSI had released a beta bios, and many of the users on their forums said this was a much improved update for overclocking. I thought, what the heck, might as well download and get a lil more life outta my cpu since it's already like 5 years old. I did, and I was able to easily get to 3.2 stable with about a 1.22 cpu voltage and a few very minor tweaks to the north bridge and south bridge voltages. Since this was achieved easily, I decided to try to get a little more out of it. Upon restarting the computer, my SSD had disappeared from the bios. This was weird, as Crystaldisk indicated a 100% health when I checked it a few days ago. I did the usual swap sata cables, sata ports, psu cables etc. to no avail. After restarting the computer and clearing the CMOS, my Samsung hard drive disappeared from the BIOS as well. Oddly enough, the Western Digital, which is simply a storage drive with almost nothing on it, was the only one that remained visible to the system.

Based off some calls to MSI and Corsair's customer service, I'm thinking that possibly the SATA controller on the motherboard is failing. If you guys have any other ideas as to what may be causing this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
If it comes down to RMA'ing something or going to great lengths to attempt to fix this, I think I will probably just buy a Haswell based MB, RAM, and CPU, since this thing is pretty old already.

Thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: Faulty Motherboard???
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:07 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Welcome back to the MaximumPC forums! Since you updated the motherboard's BIOS, did you also check to see if the SSD had a firmware update available as well? (It's usually a good idea to check for a firmware update for your SSD whenever you update the motherboard BIOS so that the SSD doesn't disappear from the motherboard's ability to recognize it.) As for the Samsung Spinpoint HDD, it may simply be on its last legs as I have seen them do some strange things just before they fail (report incorrect storage capacities in the BIOS, show as an "unknown" hard drive in the BIOS, etc.--usually a problem with the hard drive's controller). If the problem was with the motherboard's SATA controller, I wouldn't expect the WD hard drive to be recognized at all, even after all of the SATA cable swapping. Just my two cents' worth! I hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Faulty Motherboard???
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:24 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You may have to flash back to the old bios that saw your ssd in order to flash its firmware, then flash the bios back to the latest version. The SSD should now show up in the newly flashed bios.

Nasty