Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Old cpu incompatible with SSD
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:19 pm 

I have upgraded the bios, memory, GPU, on my wife's computer. We get a hardware error blue screen when the computer comes out of sleep mode, or if we leave it for a few hrs. My shop guru suggests that the cpu is simply not fast enough for the SSD. Is this the most probable cause ? Would overclocking the cpu help ?
Perhaps there is no solution but to change the board, cpu, and memory ?

Operating System System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: Français (France)
System Locale: Français (Canada)
Installed: 2013-01-08 17:53:15 No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2,00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1016 12/01/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
259,96 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
217,85 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG CD-ROM CRD-8522B ATA Device [Optical drive]
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106RD ATA Device [Optical drive]
Lecteur de disquettes [Floppy drive]

OCZ-AGIL ITY3 SCSI Disk Device (60,02 GB) -- drive 0, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD20 00JS-00MHB0 SCSI Disk Device (200,05 GB) -- drive 1, SMART Status: Healthy

Post subject: Re: Old cpu incompatible with SSD
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What's the blue screen error code?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

If it looks like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131517

Then it says you have SATA 6gbps. That should be able to handle an SSD. However, there are reports of BSOD after sleep. One thing might be to update the SATA drivers, if possible.

Overclocking the CPU won't help. That's most likely not the reason.

Instead of getting a new mobo, ram, cpu, why not use an HDD instead of an SSD? Hmm...looking at your specs, the SSD is probably a boot disk. The most cost effective thing right now would be to remove the SSD and install Windows on the HDD instead.

I don't know how much you spent on it or how much you plan on spending.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Is the BIOS revision that you are running on this motherboard the latest that is available from the manufacturer? If not, try updating the BIOS to the latest revision. If you are running the latest BIOS revision on this motherboard, then the problem is with the motherboard, not the CPU.

After visiting ASUS' support site, it appears that you do need to update the BIOS to version 1805. You might also try updating the firmware for your OCZ SSD as well. The latest firmware revision for your particular SSD is 2.25.

Last edited by pcstudent on Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:15 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
My shop guru suggests that the cpu is simply not fast enough for the SSD.

Seriously?! A CPU could be the bottleneck in a system (meaning it's the slowest component so everything is "waiting" for the CPU to do its work), but a slow CPU shouldn't be causing the error.

Sleep mode has always been buggy - it's gotten better, but it's still buggy. I recommend you shut off the sleep and hibernate mode within Windows.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I never really had any problems with sleep mode, but still, I'm curious what the BSOD code is. Or if you're using the SSD as a boot drive, it shouldn't be a hassle anymore waiting around for it to boot up from power off. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

pcstudent wrote:
You might also try updating the firmware for your OCZ SSD as well. The latest firmware revision for your particular SSD is 2.25.

I heard you should only do this last, as a desperate choice. You might brick the SSD in an update.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 am 
Willamette
Willamette

That may be true (and OCZ warns you of this as well), but I have done this twice with an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD that I have had for nearly two years now, and it has done just fine with no problems whatsoever. BTW, the same warning applies when you update the BIOS on your motherboard, or the firmware on a router. It is rare that this happens, though. Just FYI.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:44 am 
Team Member
Team Member

pcstudent wrote:
BTW, the same warning applies when you update the BIOS on your motherboard, or the firmware on a router. It is rare that this happens, though. Just FYI.

Oh, I see. I just thought SSDs were more likely to be damaged by firmware updates than other components.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Though with BIOS and a lot of firmware these days, they're particularly smart about it. Instead of erasing the entire thing and bricking the system if anything goes wrong, it stores it somewhere else, checks it, and then updates. If anything happens with the update, it'll roll back.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 pm 

Many thanks to all who have replied. I am glad to know that the slow CPU - it is the slowest element in the system - is likely not the problem.
For now, my wife can run her Facebook, and write her texts. At least she sees that I am looking out for her computer, what with the material upgrades, and configuring her Windows Live Mail. When the system stops, I will upgrade what has not been upgraded. :D !
I think I verified the firmware of the SSD when I installed it, but I will check it again. Crystal Disk gives it a 100%. Slim drivers tells me the drivers are up to date. I
think my next step will be to de-activate hibernate and sleep, which will at least give me a new working hypothesis.
Amitiés à tous !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:16 pm 

Quote:
Sleep mode has always been buggy - it's gotten better, but it's still buggy. I recommend you shut off the sleep and hibernate mode within Windows. Hope this helps.
Quote:

Yes indeed. I have not been able to get back to this forum since a month ago, but shutting off hibernate and sleep eliminated the BSOD. I suspect that it was provoked when the machine came out of sleep. Two lessons: 1) include sleep and hibernate in a diagnostic (is it Microsoft that is asleep here ?); 2) when perplexed, call on your friends in the Maximum PC forums ! :D