Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The only vid is, 2 seconds at post
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:41 pm 

OK guys and gals I've got an interesting one for you, the system it is a HP touchsmart iq524, the system displays the post screen for about 2 seconds and then the screen goes completely black. Now this is not a bios issue, because even though I can't see the screen I can enter the bios and save the settings in the computer will restart and show the post screen again four two seconds and then go blank again. The fact that I couldn't get into the bios and set defaults then save and exit causing the computer to restart tells me that the Bio seems to be functioning fine. This is an all in one system and does not have any other video outs that I can find, to verify whether it's the video chip or the monitor. I've already tried different memory and that's made no difference, I've also pulled the batteries for 24 hours to do a complete reset of the bios and I still had the same results. The thing that's really driving me nuts is that 2 seconds of perfectly bright and clear video. Anybody have any thoughts on something else I can try?

Post subject: Re: The only vid is, 2 seconds at post
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

That is a puzzler.

So the fact that you can see something on the monitor tells me it's not the monitor, but something else.

1. How long ago did this start happening? And when was the last time you were able to see the monitor normally?
2. Did anything happen prior to this issue? For example, did the power go out while you were working, or had you just installed an update or driver?
3. Does the computer stop working, or can you tell that it's running but you can't see it (like you hear the welcoming sound)?

Find/make an emergency boot disc or a Linux OS on a CD - boot from that and let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm 

btdog wrote:
That is a puzzler.

So the fact that you can see something on the monitor tells me it's not the monitor, but something else.

I haven't totally ruled out something like the inverter for the back light, I have tried the flashlight trick and had no luck but not sure if I'm just not getting a good angle or something. but the timing and how bright and clear the screen is during those 2 seconds also has me thinking its not the screen, or the vid chip for that matter.

btdog wrote:
1. How long ago did this start happening?

about 5 days ago

btdog wrote:
And when was the last time you were able to see the monitor normally?

same, it wasn't progressive at all.

btdog wrote:
2. Did anything happen prior to this issue? For example, did the power go out while you were working, or had you just installed an update or driver?

nope no power outages or failed updates,

btdog wrote:
3. Does the computer stop working, or can you tell that it's running but you can't see it (like you hear the welcoming sound)?

no, I've forced shut down so many times though that I think I have the startup fix/start normally screen popping up. 0

btdog wrote:
Find/make an emergency boot disc or a Linux OS on a CD - boot from that and let us know what happens.
I've tried a few disks, windows repair disk, seatools boot disk, and hiren's boot disk. no luck with any.

Thanks for the suggestions, if anything else you think of, no matter how off the wall pls let me know. :) -Chad

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well, it sounds like you've tried some basic troubleshooting with no luck. I've searched your issue and came up with a couple possibilities:

Bad Motherboard (this is what I'm leaning towards)
Used Linux Disc and got it to work
Another guess is the PSU, which I'm guessing is some sort of brick.

Being an AIO makes diagnosing (and repairing) much, much harder. You could try buying a new PSU (if it is a brick).

Good luck, and if you figure it out, be sure to post it for the next unlucky person.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:10 am 
Team Member
Team Member

thejustchad wrote:
btdog wrote:

btdog wrote:
I've tried a few disks, windows repair disk, seatools boot disk, and hiren's boot disk. no luck with any.

Thanks for the suggestions, if anything else you think of, no matter how off the wall pls let me know. :) -Chad

Make a lightweight linux boot disk and see if that loads up or the video cuts off. I think the Puppy Linux ISO will be good (~200mb download) to try out.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:17 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I have an IQ506. Similar issues sometimes, also many people have had similar symptoms trying to install Win8. Have you booted into Safe Mode. I think it's a graphics driver issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Have you tried this yet?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02217843&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3871946#N69