Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HD audio header to AC97 front panel connections
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:48 am 

Hello folks. Here is what I am looking for: a simple wiring diagram to change the wires on my case's front panel audio connector (that connects to the motherboard's audio header) from its AC97 arrangement to HD Audio or Azalea. In my mobo's bios I can switch between AC97 or HD audio to enable my old case's AC97 connector to the front jacks to work. Problem is that when I do that it kills the audio going to the mobo's rear jacks. I want to use both front and rear jacks simultaneously so I can have a headset upfront and speakers plugged in the back. If I can rewire my case's connector to be compatible with HD audio then I can leave the mobo's header configured for HD audio and both the front and rear jacks will work at the same time. Where can I find a wiring diagram that shows which wires (from and HD audio header on the mobo) to connect to the existing wires from my case's AC97 plug?

Post subject: Re: HD audio header to AC97 front panel connections
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Google. I'm not trying to be an ass, but seriously, type up "AC97 pinout" or "HD Audio pinout" and you'll get a dozen plus results.

You can also probably find premade stuff on Amazon. I found an extension cable of all things on there.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:34 am 

I figured this would come up.. I hate to sound like a doof about this but I have searched around and have not found exactly the type of cross-connect drawing I'm looking for. I can see the names of the pins for HD connections and also the names of the pins for AC97 but there is no direct correlation. I looked at adapters, even bought one: APEVIA HD Audio to AC'97 Adapter but it is opposite of what I am looking for. It's AC97 to HD. I want the other way around, HD to AC97... somebody must of had to do this before...

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well you have two options: Get a case with both connectors or build your own adapter (hence the pinout lookup). Because chances are, nobody has done this if you've spent hours looking online.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

jimofnyc wrote:
Hello folks. Here is what I am looking for: a simple wiring diagram to change the wires on my case's front panel audio connector (that connects to the motherboard's audio header) from its AC97 arrangement to HD Audio or Azalea. In my mobo's bios I can switch between AC97 or HD audio to enable my old case's AC97 connector to the front jacks to work. Problem is that when I do that it kills the audio going to the mobo's rear jacks. I want to use both front and rear jacks simultaneously so I can have a headset upfront and speakers plugged in the back. If I can rewire my case's connector to be compatible with HD audio then I can leave the mobo's header configured for HD audio and both the front and rear jacks will work at the same time. Where can I find a wiring diagram that shows which wires (from and HD audio header on the mobo) to connect to the existing wires from my case's AC97 plug?

In the 2 cases Ive seen this. I could only get the front and back to both work at the same time. You should be lucky that the back speakers cut out when u plug in a headphone at the front.

Dunno if this helps but if you have Realtek as your audio open up it's Sound Manager. Look for the little yellow folder ICON up right corner below DEVICE ADVANCE SETTINGS. Mess around with that.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I thought the whole point of the front connecter was to kill the rear exit audio so the speakers would turn off while using headphones. I can't see the point in needing speakers and headphones running at the same time.

If you list the mobo you have, and the case make and model, we might be able to do something.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

You clearly didn't spend that much time looking it up did you? I googled AC-97 to HD Audio, and found this on the 3rd hit!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
but that is not what he wants, he wants HD to AC97.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
but that is not what he wants, he wants HD to AC97.

All the OP has to do is wire his AC-97 connector to the correct pins on the HD Audio port and it will work. The pin out shows what pins are what, couldn't be more simple. Open the case, with a sewing needle or tooth pick, pop the wires out of the AC-97 connecter, and insert the proper wires into the cavities to correspond with the HD pin out.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:05 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Also just found this as well.

http://www.tinkerer.eu/AC97-Adapter

There is this info too!

http://www.Intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-015851.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 am 

I think I'll carefully remove the pins from my Aptevia adaptor and re-arrange them to make this work. I am trying to make this work on an GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4 FM2 board that has Realtek audio that has that the little yellow icon in the upper right hand side of its control panel that will make the internal audio header work as either AC97 of HD audio. When I set it for AC97 and plug in my old Lian-Li case's AC97 connector - I get audio out of the headphone jacks but it kills the audio out of the rear audio connector - even when headphones are not plugged in. The reason I want to re-wire my case's front connector is so that I can have both front and rear jacks active at the same time. Why do I want this you ask? I Skype a lot and I like to be able to hear that weird Skype calling sound through the speakers so I can turn my attention back to my PC. I then just slip on my headphone / boom mic headset and turn down the speaker volume with their volume control without having to plug in a headset or go into the Realtek control panel and change the internal sound header back to AC97 to make the phones work... If I do all of that jazz, by then my Skype caller has given up and hung up... The diagrams help and now that I have that Aptevia adaptor I can re-wire, I won't have to f - up the plug on my case's front panel sound jack header... whew! Now you know why I am trying to do this crazy set up...