Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Install Prob, Fried Processor?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:11 pm 

Yesterday I built a computer for a friend of mine, I've built several others in the past, but when i started this the first time during windows xp installation i heard an alarm and the computer shut down. It seems the fan on the Athalon XP 2700 had gotten caught and the chip had overheated. The default bios setting (i hadn't changed any settings) was to alarm when the cpu overheated but not to shut down the pc...since then i've tried installing (after resolving the fan problem) and i keep having a bluescreen and dump of physical memory. I'm very frustrated and sort of at my wits end. Knoppix seems to run ok on the system...but windows installation always dumps on me, and not always in the same place.

Is our processor dead? or badly damaged? There was no burnt plastic smell, i know that can accompany frying a chip. please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:25 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Possibly. Have you tried checking your RAM for errors?

Memtest86

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:41 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I'll go with One4u2c on this one. check the ram because when I first built my machine the heatsink on the processor wasnt making good contact with the processor and it was getting overheating and shuting down. After I figure that out the processor is been working great; so I will doubt that its fried. Possible but unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:10 am 

i used memtest 86 off of that knoppix cd, i ran out of time, but in about half an hour of testing it hadn't found any errors...i guess i'll go restart memtest and let it run the rest of the way through

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:18 am 
Klamath
Klamath

if u have more than one stick try one at a time. Also try different slots see it that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:23 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

In my experience a proc either runs or it doesn't. It is possible to damage the motherboard by overheating a proc though. I'd start from scratch by, reseating the proc and HSF with new AS5, clearing CMOS, resetting the bios, and reseating all the cards and cables just for the hell of it.

Finish the memory test also and if that doesn't do the trick borrow some memory or run each stick by itself if you have two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:20 pm 

I'm posting this on the new computer! Anyway, Thanks for the advice! I reset the bios and that fixed it, I can't believe it didn't occur to me that could be the problem. I'm having a wierd problem with it now though...and that is that whenever the computer reboots, or restarts in windows, anytime its not shut completely off when i reboot it doesn't see the keyboard or mouse! boots into windows and i have no keyboard or mouse! I'm using an old gateway keyboard and mouse and i can't even get the number or caps locks to go on or off...its like when it reboots they dont' have power!

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:25 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman

fatemonkey wrote:
I'm posting this on the new computer! Anyway, Thanks for the advice! I reset the bios and that fixed it, I can't believe it didn't occur to me that could be the problem. I'm having a wierd problem with it now though...and that is that whenever the computer reboots, or restarts in windows, anytime its not shut completely off when i reboot it doesn't see the keyboard or mouse! boots into windows and i have no keyboard or mouse! I'm using an old gateway keyboard and mouse and i can't even get the number or caps locks to go on or off...its like when it reboots they dont' have power!

Any thoughts?

Sounds like when the bios was reset to defaults some obscure setting was changed. Look carefully through the bios options with your mobo book in hand where it explains what the different bios settings are. I believe there is one about num locks.

You don't say what mobo it is but you will find info about proper bios settings for your board by googling it.

This is a very good forum for specific bios settings others with your boards chipset (whatever it is) have found to work the best.

http://forums.pcper.com/

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/index.php?s=