Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win 7 backup file on external USB drive is huge
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:56 am 

I have a gateway desktop running windows 7 Home premium with 4gb ram and 1tb HDD. I have a 1tb external USB drive as well.

There are currently 2 files on the external, one is a true crypt file of 250 gb and the balance is usable for the windows backup file. I noticed that the external drive is almost full. I have less than 300 gb used on my 1tb internal drive. There should be 400gb free, at least that's the way my math sees it.

My question is why does the external drive show almost full when there is only 300gb total on the internal drive? I only use the UsB drive for backups and the True Crypt file. Is windows backup keeping more than one backup? In other words, are there multiple backup copies on the external drive? Or is it backing up the empty space too?

I have this same issue on my Mac laptop too, it's showing the backup is 3 times the size of the HDD. I don't know if the principles are the same when using backup in both systems, it just seems odd. I know this is a windows forum. The Mac comment is just a comment, nothing more.

Is there a better backup program out there for windows 7 users than the included backup?

This isn't a problem - yet, but I'd like to fix it before the external runs out of space.

Post subject: Re: Win 7 backup file on external USB drive is huge
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you've ran the backup utility more than once, chances are it's versioning your backups.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
If you've ran the backup utility more than once, chances are it's versioning your backups.

My backup runs every night at 9pm. I am beginning to think its making multiple copies similar to the multiple restore points windows can create. Copies of copies of copies.

I currently have all my important files in Dropbox and older copies are actually on my HDD. I'm tempted to delete the external backup file and start over. The only things on my HDD are a few gb of photos, the programs and windows. All of the programs can be downloaded again if need be and the photos are also on multiple devices and a DVD or two.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:58 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I don't know if this is applicable, but I vaguely remember having a similar issue with my computer and an external HDD. When I went to backup, Windows tried to backup both HDDs (not just the internal one). As a result, you get into this loop where you're backing up the backup file you're creating.

You should be able to customize the backup to only include your internal drive.

Another tidbit: if you plan on backing up on a routine basis (every night, week, etc.), you should dedicate one drive to this process and don't store other files on that drive. Truly sensitive data (photos, family documents, whatever) should be backed up separately to a tertiary device (which it sounds like you've done with Dropbox).

Hope this helps.