Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A taskbar folder for bunches of games?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:24 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Windows 7.

I have three columns of game icons on the left side of my screen, a structure that seems to grow by the day (Thanks, Steam!).

I was hoping I could create a folder with a custom "game" icon that I could then park in the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen. Throw the launcher shortcuts in there, click on it when I want to play something, and go from there.

Turns out that Windows 7 wants to "pin" the folder to Windows Explorer; I would have to access it through a right-click. Not what I wanted at all.

Is there any way of doing this that doesn't involve the Start menu some how? I suppose I could just have the one folder on the desktop, but I really wanted one-click access from the Task Bar.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: A taskbar folder for bunches of games?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Right click on an empty space, select Toolbars, then select Custom Toolbar. Point it to a folder and any shortcut you add there will be selectable.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:59 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thanks. It's not as elegant a solution as I'd like, but it works. Would rather it be a graphic "button" on on the left side, but...oh, well.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The answer is always linux. Build a custom solution...if you can. It seems custom solutions are less common on windows.

I used to take care of my desktop in WinXP but in 7, I just leave icons all over. I'm not sure why. Maybe the way win7 works or something.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

phillyj wrote:
The answer is always linux. Build a custom solution...if you can. It seems custom solutions are less common on windows.

Except 1. this isn't an easy solution and 2. OP is a gamer.

Also another solution for you OP. I know you didn't want to mangle with the Start Menu, but use that snazzy feature introduced in Vista: Search. I'm pretty sure you have a large library of games, or large enough that a menu (*cough cough*) is cumbersome to go through. So if you put your repository of games into the Start Menu, all you have to do is press the Windows Key, then start typing the name of the game. Chances are with enough letters it'll get that game. Even if you hit multiple ones (Like in my case, I have a bunch of "Tom Clancy's ..."), the one you choose most will creep to the top.

I daresay that that is a lot faster than any GUI.