Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OC Issues
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:27 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Hey guys, I have a problem. I just replaced my 2600K with a 3770K, same MB, which is an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe. The 2600K was OCed to 4400, using a 212 air cooler. FWIW, I dual boot on this machine with XP 32 bit and 7 Pro 64 bit.

My main install is the XP, and I was working on getting the OC back up within it. I was using the ASUS TurboV utility to get the figures, then was planning to set up the BIOS once I got everything stable. I got the 3770K back up to 4300 using 100 BCLCK and a 43 multliper, with a VCORE of 1.21. And prime 95 ran stable for 12+ hours, temps on hottest core about 83C. One thing I did notice though was that occasionally I would get a pop up warning from TurboV saying my 3V or my 5V was out of spec, although I don't remember what the value was.

And here is the problem. Last night I left the machine idle and it rebooted at some point overnight. Now the XP install locks up every time I start it after no more than 15 seconds, as long as it is overclocked at all. I was finally able to get into it and use it some with everything back to stock settings. The Win 7 install seems to be OK, but it is no longer stable at the 4300 OC either.

I was pretty sure that I could get the same OC from the 3770K that I got from the 2600K, or at least get close to it. Is there a chance that my PS is failing under load here? Or were the pop up errors in TurboV spurious? I didn't get many of them, probably 4 or 5 over a two day period. I have watched the voltages in the BIOS for a few minutes at a time and they look fairly stable, but obviously those aren't under load. I really want to get this think back up and stable...

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I just looked at the voltages in the BIOS again, and the CPU voltage bounces around between 1.116 and 1.124, the 3V bounces around between 3.360 and 3.376. Both bounce a low but stay within those values. The 5V shows 5.040 and NEVER moves, and the 12V shows 12.288 and NEVER moves.

Also, one more thing that I don't know if it is related, my Win 7 install shows only one of my video cards in device manager, while the XP install shows both of them.

Thanks for any ideas...

Post subject: Re: OC Issues
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The Ivy Bridge chips do not overclock as well as the Sandy Bridge chips because the heat spreader is attached with thermal paste in the ivy bridge unlike the soldiered spreaders on the SB chips.

Post subject: Re: OC Issues
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 am 
Willamette
Willamette

According to the manufacturer, the maximum frequency for overclocking this processor is 3.9 GHz with TurboBoost technology. See how it does at that level of OCing.