Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I suspect my video card is dieing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 pm 

This last month i have noticed a huge increase in my BSODs, 90% of them while gaming (random, could be 10 minutes of gaming, could be hours), 1 or 2 i woke up to from some point in the middle of the night. I have no idea what is causing them as i get different errors almost every time, but its 1 of 3 causes in BlueScreenView, hal.dll, ntoskrnl.exe or atikmdag.sys. Sadly i have no idea how to read a mini dump, so i have no idea if this is software or hardware, if someone could help me out i would be very grateful.

On the driver side, i am running 12.1, because if i update past this, my video card goes really stupid and glitchy, image example below. The screen glitches as soon as it boots on any newer drivers, i get the lines/image glitches even just sitting on the desktop not doing anything, and scrolling or moving windows makes it 100 times worse. I believe i have narrowed this problem down to the Sapphire mini DP to DVI adapter i have for 1 of my monitors (all DVI). if i boot, unplug the adapter, then plug it back in, problem goes away until the next time i boot.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/276/20121031002628.jpg

But i still got BSODs on the newest drivers (the 23rd), so i went back to the not glitchy 12.1 drivers. Temps should not be an issue, card has never been above 62C, rest of temps in system seem fine. RAM checked out when i bought it, but haven't run memtest in a year or so.

Here are my mini dumps. Oldest one is from jan, but i have had 5 this month so far.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39480951/2013%20mini%20dump.zip

System specs-
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T BE @ 3.9ghz | CORSAIR H80 | 2x 4gig Mushkin Enhanced Silverline DDR3 1333 | Sapphire 2SR Radeon HD 6970 | CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W | GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX

Hopefully that covers everything.

Post subject: Re: I suspect my video card is dieing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If a certain version of drivers works and the card runs just fine, but another one doesn't, then I suspect the drivers are at fault.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 pm 

That's what i would figure as well, but I'm getting BSODs no matter what drivers i use.

I did try and contact AMD and Sapphire asking if a driver change has happened that breaks the mini dp to dvi adapter or something, but they say nothing is wrong with the drivers. And I have done about 10 installs every way i can and no matter what, same display problems.

no new hardware has been added since i bought my video card, and I haven't had and problems or BSODs till now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:37 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Sure sounds to me like you did a corrupt install of the drivers, try this:

Download and install Ccleaner.

Shut off your anti-virus!

Uninstall the video driver and say no to reboot.

Find and delete the driver folder for your video card and empty the recycle bin.

Run the registry section of Ccleaner (free version) and "fix all"

Reboot your computer and cancel both popups.

Shut off your anti-virus!

Install the latest driver and reboot as required.

This should solve your blue screen problem.

Nasty