Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Boot up with HDMI connected to TV
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:16 pm 

How can I get install bootup with an HDMI to TV.

I just built my computer, everything is connected right. I have an HDMI cord running to my from Graphics card, but I cant get a picture to show up. Any idea why?

Post subject: Re: New Boot up with HDMI connected to TV
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:23 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
what video card are you using? did you set up the tv to the right hdmi input, I have three on my tv, it is plugged in on my number one slot and I have to select it on the tv setup, anytime I use it for computer to tv.

the video card also needs to be told what you are using, It may not be able to detect the tv, and you will need to set it up manually. I am not familiar with amd cards, but if you have a monitor, or can borrow one, you can set both up. I also find that my hdmi cable needs to be unplugged and replugged in to detect the tv once in a while, for some reason it loses the tv settings and detects it as a non 1080 tv.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:01 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Stupid question: did you set up multiple monitors in Windows?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

There may be a setting in the BIOS that you need to adjust (or maybe a physical jumper on the motherboard that you need to move) in order to get the picture to your TV.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

pcstudent wrote:
There may be a setting in the BIOS that you need to adjust (or maybe a physical jumper on the motherboard that you need to move) in order to get the picture to your TV.

Uh... There's nothing special you need to do that low level.

Just so I can say this for the record: A modern, HDTV is nothing special to a computer. All an HDTV is is a monitor with a TV tuner. That's it. HDMI is not a special video standard that requires you to perform voodoo on your computer to make it work. The video component of HDMI is essentially DVI.

So yeah, just plug the TV into your HDMI or DVI port (if you use a converter), and then set up Windows so it outputs to the TV as well. Nothing to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

OP: are you trying to do the install using your tv or did you get everything installed and now trying to hook up your tv.

If your trying to do the install using your TV, save yourself some headache and borrow a VGA or DVI monitor (depending on your Video card) Sometimes things run funny when installing. I have even ran into occasions I have had to use the on-board video to get everything installed before it would output properly to my video card.

If the second is your case. It's a matter of making sure you have the newest drivers and messing with the software for your video card to enable the HDMI port. (Some come with this slot disabled in software, last I knew).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:16 am 

This is the initial boot. I have nothing installed. Never even turned it on other than trying to last night. Doesn't have windows yet. I am assuming I have to use the regular computer screen cable install everything. I have a gtx 660 ftw sig2 . Vizio tv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I have done a few installs and used my TV as a monitor. There is nothing special like Latios said. You just plug it in and tell the TV to use proper HDMI port on it. Are you using any kind of adapter as I have seen those cause issues!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:54 am 

Ok. I regrettably have to say I didnt have the power cables hooked up to the motherboard correctly. :|