Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Custom Built Computer Freezing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 am 

Hey guys I just built my first computer and I ran into one main problem that hopefully someone can help me with. First and foremost here are my specs ...

RAM = Centon R1333PC4096K2 Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-10600, DDR3-1333MHz, DIMM, CL9, Non-ECC, Unbuffered

GPU = Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti GTX650TI-1GD5 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 2x Dual-Link, DVI-D, 1x D-Sub (VGA), 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Fan

Motherboard = ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, AMD FX, 2133MHz DDR3, (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready

PSU = Corsair CX500 V2 CX Series CP-9020047-US 500W Power Supply - 80 Plus Bronze, 120mm Fan, Active PFC, 90~264V Input, Supports Full Tower Cases, Single +12V Rail

CPU = AMD FD4300WMHKBOX FX-4300 Four-Core 3.8GHz AM3+ Processor - AM3+, Quad-Core, 3.8GHz, 8MB, 95W, Unlocked

HDD = Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

All of these were bought in store at Tiger Direct. I can get anyone model numbers if necessary and I left out the case, monitor, optical drive, keyboard and mouse because I don't believe those affect anything (please correct me if I am wrong :D). To make a long story short though, from the moment I started installing Windows 7 until right now, the computer randomly freezes. When it does freeze, the sound cuts out, the mouse and keyboard stop working and I have to do a hard reset. Sometimes it happens when I install a program and sometimes it happens during the initial boot but 100% of the time it will freeze eventually. The furthest I have made it is about 3 hours into playing Star Wars the Old Republic before it freezes. Sometimes I will be doing multiple tasks at once and sometimes I will be doing nothing at all and it still freezes. I removed 1 stick of RAM and then the other and even put them in different DIMM slots but it didn't solve anything. I brought back both sticks of RAM and swapped them out for new ones and the problem is still occurring. Does anyone have any idea how I can troubleshoot this issue and figure out what component is faulty? Or is it me? I would appreciate anyone's help and let me know if you need any more information from me, thanks!

BFranks

Post subject: Re: Custom Built Computer Freezing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

What BIOS revision are you currently running on this motherboard?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:44 pm 

BIOS Version : 1006 x64
Build Date : 10/17/2012

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 am 
Willamette
Willamette

That BIOS revision is still listed as a "BETA" on ASUS' website. Try updating the BIOS to revision to 1201 or later (the latest revision is 1602 and is listed with the date of 03/14/2013) and see if that solves your issue. Revisons 1201 (11/13/2012) and 1302 (12/07/2012) are listed as updates that "improve system stability".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm 

Updated the BIOS to version 1602 and the computer froze as soon as windows loaded but it has gone all day without freezing again. I hope the problem has been solved but I will update you if it continues to freeze. Thanks for all your help so far pcstudent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

No problem! I am glad that your issue appears to be resolved (at least for the present time). Keep us posted if you continue to experience problems.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:43 am 

Well unfortunately my solution was short lived. My computer froze 5 times in a row just trying to write this post. I have no programs running or anything I just turn the computer on and it freezes or I double click Firefox and it freezes. I left it off all night and as soon as I turn it on it just starts freezing. The 5 minutes that it is taking me to write this is the longest it has gone this morning without freezing! Any other troubleshooting methods besides the BIOS? I have enough power from the Corsair 500 right? Faulty motherboard?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

You have enough power with that psu. But it still could be the fault. If you know someone that has a known good spare psu that you could borrow, swap them out and give it a run. While you are swapping it out it is a good time to check all molex and fan power plugs for bent pins.

Another something it could be is an incompatibility between software, a corrupted file, etc.
Borrow a hd from someone and remove yours. Just install your OS. Don't worry about registering it as you will only be using it for a short while. Don't install anything else. Not even AV programs. (Just don't go online.)
Now putz around with it for a while. Play solitaire or something for a couple days. If the freezing stops then there is some incompatibility somewhere or a corrupted file.

It could also be the mobo. When you have eliminated everything else through thorough testing, then it probably is the mobo. RMA time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:13 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

When you mounted the cpu, how much paste did you use? It should be no more than BB size. I spread it evenly over the whole cpu with an old credit card so you can see thru it without hitting bare metal. Then I mount the cooler and make sure no grease squirts out the sides. If it does, you used to much and it can short things out and be a general pain that must be corrected.

Get memtest86+ and run a test on your ram, one stick at a time. If you get even one error, RMA the ram. I run the test for about ten minutes, if I get no errors I switch to another ram stick and do the same procedure until all ram is checked...you have to pull the plug out of the wall and press the start button to kill the caps before removing and installing the ram, so you don't kill it. Don't ever touch the modules or the contacts or you might kill the stick of ram (ESD).

Download and run the diagnostic program for your hard drive, you can get it from Seagate website for free.

If all the above checks out clean, remove the motherboard from the case and place it on an insulated surface (cardboard) and plug in the 24 pin, 8pin power and the start plug from the case to the motherboard. Plug in the video card with the proper power connectors and see if it boots with out crashing, then let it run like that for a while to see if it does in fact still crash. If it runs start adding in equipment, start with the hard drive....shut the machine down before you add it! Start the machine and let it boot to windows...does it crash? If not, shut it down and add the optical drive. Does it crash? If no, shut it down and pull the plug from the wall, hit the start button to short the caps, reinstall it into the case and be very careful sliding the boards outputs into the back plate. It has grounding lugs the stay on the outside of all components, if even one slides into a usb port it can damage the motherboard or cause all kinds of crashes. Some Asus motherboards have a new type flat faced spongy material you push the outputs against and don't have to worry about the last step.

Make sure you have the USB plugs for the front of the case plugged into the proper ports. If you plug one into the firewire port you can screw thing up good.

If it still crashes, do a clean install of windows, install the chipset drivers FIRST, then the video card drivers along with the rest. UPDATE windows to the very last update! A lot of issues with software causing crashes are fixed with updates.

If it still crashes post back any errors you can find that windows posts in the Event Viewer.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:42 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm a big believer in a free program called "Real Temp". It monitors temperatures of your CPU.

Just in case...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Nasty, the OP should run memTest86+ for longer than ten minutes. I had two brand new sticks of Corsair memory that did not show any errors until 2-3 hours into the test after it had run several complete passes through each stick of memory. Just FYI.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:49 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
I run the test for about ten minutes,

Yup, I gave a length of time I used at 10 minutes. I never ran it a long time, have no patience for that crap. It usually finds errors in the first seconds of opening the program, I stop it and rma that stick after trying it in all slots. If the error shows up in all slots either the stick is bad or the motherboard is bad....the second stick usually runs with no errors, so that tells me the motherboard is good.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Well, the two Corsair sticks of memory that I referred to in my earlier post were brand new and the defective one of them took several passes to reveal one single memory address error. Running only one pass was not sufficient to reveal the defective stick. That is all I was saying, Nasty!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:41 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you know that Microsoft has added a memory tester to Win Vista and 7? This is new to me.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/wind ... r-computer

Read the blurb on it to the end.

My above posts reflected my experience in the past using memtest86+, usually I would get many hits just out of the gate and sometimes like you it takes a few passes to find the gremlin causing the problems.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

bfranks wrote:
Well unfortunately my solution was short lived. My computer froze 5 times in a row just trying to write this post. I have no programs running or anything I just turn the computer on and it freezes or I double click Firefox and it freezes. I left it off all night and as soon as I turn it on it just starts freezing. The 5 minutes that it is taking me to write this is the longest it has gone this morning without freezing! Any other troubleshooting methods besides the BIOS? I have enough power from the Corsair 500 right? Faulty motherboard?

Try boot menu (F8) and choose "Safe Mode with Networking" then see how long you can surf like that. If no problems, you have a driver or hardware issue, possibly malware. If not it could still be hardware or drivers, download drivers for your hardware rather than using the CD, then either uninstall all drivers or just reload from scatch.

Use anti-malware, you really can't do without it, no matter what anyone says.

Install drivers and software one thing at a time, then test for stability. If you have problems again, you should know what the last change was, it should be related to that.

Also run a check on your HDD just to make sure it isn't the cause.

Hope it helps!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am 
Willamette
Willamette

The RAM Could be the problem but also could be the board. You'll also want to make sure when you placed the board in you did not ground the board on one of the stand offs.

I do find that Tiger often ships faulty parts so a part could be bad.