Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: custom right-click menus don't work like they use to
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:15 pm 

hi, months ago i learned to create shortcuts to programs/apps to the right-click of the mouse on any empty area on either of my 2 monitors.

how to create right-clicks menu

To achieve that you need to add a few keys to the registry. Open it by typing regedit into a run prompt which you get by hitting Windows key + R. In the registry, navigate to the Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shell key and right-click it to create a new key (New > Key). Give it the name of the command that shall later appear in the menu (Custom Folder in the example above). Afterwards right-click the created key and create another one called command. Left click the command key and change the (Default) value by double-clicking it. It has to be something like:

explorer.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe"

Replace the path I used with the one to your folder (embrace it in double-quotes if it contains spaces) and put the explorer.exe in front of it, so the system knows which program to use to open the command.

i created shortcuts to programs like MPC-HC and paths to folders, it would open on whichever monitor the mouse was on when i right-click to bring up my new menus, but last week when i found i had a malware (Bifrose) and had to reinstall my OS (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) the menus would only open on my main monitor and not the second one, even if the mouse was on the second monitor. this is sometimes a problem if i'm playing a game or watching a movie, to open up files or watch a movie while gaming, i now have to pause and drag it to the second monitor.

before everything worked perfectly, now it only opens on the main mointor. i don't use any 3rd party monitor software for my dual monitor setup. and i don't use remember last play area for MPC-HC either because i switch around a lot depending on what i'm doing at the moment(gaming, watching movies, or surfing the internet) and sometimes its a hassle to keep moving programs that starts up on the wrong screen.

does anyone have a solution or any advice thay can offer me, thanks in advance for any help i can get

Post subject: Re: custom right-click menus don't work like they use to
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:36 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I have found in my dual monitor set up the program will start on the screen it last remembered being on. However this is kind of glitched. If the window is maximized when closed it doesn't remember what screen it was on however if it's windowed (or restored down) it does. So I find I have to open the program drag it to the Monitor I want then close it. Next time I open the program it will show on the correct screen then I can maximize it and it will stay put.

It tends to be a PITA but that's how I have worked around my issue.

Post subject: Re: custom right-click menus don't work like they use to
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 pm 

thanks for your reply, that tricked only worked for staying on the last screen it was closed on, can't get it either open on both monitors at same time or monitor of my choice.

guess i'm stuck with dragging across the screen then