Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can an HDD cause response time hiccups?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:33 am 

I have been having some big problems with a PC I built back in 2008. It started by occasionally freezing up on me for 15-30 seconds. The mouse pointer won't move, the keyboard doesn't respond, but after a few seconds, things are back to normal.

Then it started freezing during bootup. I would have to power it down and power back up to get it to boot up, sometimes more than once.

Another weird wrinkle is that Windows Update says my video driver needs to be updated, but when I try to install it, it fails (more than once).

I have also gotten the Blue Screen of Death on one occasion, which makes me think my HDD is dying a slowly. But before I purchase a new one, I wanna be sure the freeze-ups don't point to something else - memory, CPU, graphics card?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Can an HDD cause response time hiccups?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Freeze ups can be caused by things other than the hard drive; however, what you have described definitely falls in line with a hard disk that is having issues. From what you described it sounds like your hard drive is developing more and more bad sectors that are hard to read to or write to and sometimes it simply can't read/write to these sectors. You might want to run a chkdsk /f to see if that helps alleviate the problem but if it continues even after that's run then the hard drive isn't much longer for the world. As a general precaution I'd backup your data that you need backed up now, see if a chkdsk helps at all and if not it's new hard disk time.

Post subject: Re: Can an HDD cause response time hiccups?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

With a system that old capacitors bloated or leaking come to mind. They can cause those symptoms. See: http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/gx270/index.html for photos. Good closeup here: http://static.tz.nl/f/g/209691_9f58fc61.jpg

I've seen blown capacitors in power supplies too. Unfiltered D.C. doesn't power things well.