Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: problem with 6 gbs pci-e card
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:44 pm 

I've been running a WD blue drive on my SATA 2 port and recently bought an add on Sata 3 PCIe connector.
After plugged into the sata 3 terminal. It won't boot. It goes into the windows screen then goes straight to a windows diagnostic black screen and then reboots. Keeps doing this and wont go past that black screen.
I've tried win 7 startup repair while plugged into the sata 3 adapter. Which made no difference after completion.
I can see the WD drive just fine in bios so the sata 3 adapter must be working. After it won't boot I switch it back to my SATA 2 terminal the drive runs and goes into Win 7 just fine. I really dont want to have to reformat the drive with Win 7. Any suggetions would be apperiated .

Post subject: Re: problem with 6 gbs pci-e card
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You need to reinstall Windows and load drivers before you install it (there's an option somewhere to do so)

However, considering this is a hard drive, send the add-on card back if you can as it doesn't offer you any more performance than the SATA 3Gbps port.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:00 pm 

So there's not a performance boost between a harddrive thats 3gbs to 6gbs?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Correct. The most I've seen a hard drive put out is 150MB/s, which saturates only the first SATA spec. And this is for a top of the line 4TB drive. Most hard drives cap out at about 130MB/s if they're doing a sequential transfer.

If you were using an SSD, it would be a different story. But the solution would remain the same: if you want to install your OS drive onto an external controller, Windows needs to be reinstalled with the drivers before the actual OS installation.