Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Home Server, 4K vs. 512 emulation - any ideas!!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

To catch everyone up to speed:
  • I have 3 PCs and one laptop which are backed up to a computer with 2011 WHS.
  • The WHS computer was being backed up to an internal 2TB HDD. As time progressed, the 2TB HDD filled up and I was getting a constant warning that I was running out of space and needed to add another hard drive.
  • To alleviate the space issue, I purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB external HDD.
  • This is where I found out about an issue regarding MS OSes and HDDs larger than 2TB. At this point, I should mention that all computers use BIOS - none have UEFI.
  • Long story short, larger HDDs are formatted using 4096 byte (or 4K) sectors (actually, most are formatted using 4K but it only becomes an issue with 2+ TB HDDs); Win 7 & WHS stores files in 512 byte increments. 4K and 512 byte sector sizes don't always mesh well. So when I try to backup the server to the 4TB HDD, I get an error (2155348010)
  • Based on my searches (like THIS one), I would have to get the 4TB HDD to "emulate" 512 byte sectors.
  • Through various other searches, I've identified that Western Digital may have a solution, but I can't find one for Seagate. I find THIS thread, but the OP never provided details on the solution.

So, before I put myself through an automated response nightmare, only to be put on terminal hold, I thought I would reach out and see if anyone here might be able to help. I think I've covered the pertinent information.

Any suggestions or leads are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Windows Home Server, 4K vs. 512 emulation - any ideas!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

See if Seagate has a utility that will allow you to format the drive using 512B sector emulation.

Post subject: Re: Windows Home Server, 4K vs. 512 emulation - any ideas!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

There have been a few people that got their driver working by reformatting the drives using the hard drive makers utilities. Have you given that a shot yet to see if it will allow it to write at 512?