Post subject: Post your back-up SOP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:32 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

What do you backup?
How often?
Where?
What backup software do you use?
Anything anecdotal you want to share on why or how?

Post subject: Re: Post your back-up SOP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I have Windows Home Server back up everything on the network at my house, with an external drive to back that up, plus I use an external hard drive on my personnel machine with SyncToy to one way copy data over to that drive once a week. Not the greatest means, but it works for my needs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

As posted else where:
Backup user created data only.
Internal to internal for a speedy backup recovery method.
Internal to external for if shtf
Backup copied to server for off site backup.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I back up my dual-boot C: drive to another internal hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free maybe twice a month.
I back up all my important data that's stored on another internal hard drive to a spindle of 32 DVD+RW discs maybe monthly, using CDBurnerXP.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:37 am 

I keep a syspreped copy of my os with programs on a couple external backup drives and update it using a spared hd every month or so for easy recovery or a move to a new unit if necessary. all important files are backed up to network storage drives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm 

My netgear router has a usb port that I have attached a external 2tb drive, with ready share on the router and R-Disk software on our pc's. I have it make an image of our hard drives in the middle of the night once per week for each computer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

macrium reflect free image backup of the OS drive once a week to another internal drive on each PC. once a month I copy the latest image to a seagate NAS 2 TB drive. I keep the latest 3 images for each PCs OS drive on the NAS.

syncback does daily backups to the NAS on my daily driver PC for documents and such, and the backup software that came with the seagate NAS for the HTPC and game PC for more or less real time backup of documents and such to the NAS.

docs also get burned to dvd and stored off site in a safe deposit box about once a month. important docs are saves to at least 2 PCs.

gotta get a more automated way of doing this at some point, but its such a habit now I just stay with it.

should just build a WHS or ZFS box and be done with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
What do you backup?
How often?
Where?
What backup software do you use?
Anything anecdotal you want to share on why or how?

Good questions.
  • I perform a system backup using the computer's OS once it's built, drivers installed and OS updated
  • I currently use 2011 Windows Home Server to back up my computers on a daily basis.
  • The back up of WHS is currently an internal HDD in the system, but I have just recently purchased an external HDD that I will begin using for my backup. I hope to have that operating in the next couple weeks.

A few 'struggles' I'm trying to work through:
  • I'm frustrated with how WHS sets up the HDDs, especially the lack of disk pooling
  • I have prepped the WHS recovery disk in the event one of my computers crashes, however every time I have tested the recovery of a computer it has been unsuccessful. I haven't had time to investigate why it hasn't worked, but it something I need to look into. Luckily I haven't had a catastrophic event or one of my computers crash...yet, but obviously if I can't use WHS for recovery, all my effort is for naught

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I used to have my backups make a full backup of each system on the network to a round robin upon another system which I think was five PCs in a star network but that filled drives up. I used Cobian in those days and only saved a full weekly backup and six days worth of differential backups of anything that has changed. The idea was if one goes down or gets stolen one of the others has a copy. I occasionally made image backups to external drives when Macrium Reflect Free came out.

But now I only have a networked XP Pro "server" box (really just a backup PC) and a Win7 Pro laptop in primary use. The only other PC I turn on occasionally is an old XP one that is used to access the wifi router and an old scsi scanner---other than a massive amount of updates whenever I turn it on it has no need of a backup except an occasional manual drive image for convenience. I don't back up my Win7 HTPC. I don't backup my guest room XP PC beyond an infrequent manual image.

I use Macrium Reflect to make an automatic background backup of a drive image the first of the month. Then I schedule a daily (fast over wifi connection) incremental backup...which will be a pain if my drive fails towards the end of the month. I have not created a batch script to auto delete the darned backups after some point and still need to manually clean the server drive periodically to free up some space. If I ever get such a script working reliably I would switch over to differential backups and delete them after a week or so. Or save only a few of a month's worth in case I deleted something I wanted to recover....which really doesn't seem to happen anymore with recovery functions built into apps.

I suppose it would be a good idea to backup the server to an external drive or off site drive (though the latter is slow transfers). This helps somewhat with theft or fire. But I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:15 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

I have a decent backup plan, or at least I like to think so. I use CrashPlan+ to do the work and I have multiple backup points:

1) All computers on the network backup to my central Windows 2008 R2 server which is running a set of hard drives in RAID 5 (with parity) on a 3Ware hardware RAID card on a daily basis
2) The server backs up to an external hard drive on a daily basis
3) My main PC along with backing up to the server also backs up to a separate external hard drive
4) Lastly my server backs up the backup folder to a couple of online services including CrashPlan's service