Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Poor performance with new SSD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:17 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Forgive the long post...

I just received my new 520 Cherryville 120 SSD..it replaced my Intel 80gb Sata II boot drive. i did a clean install..installed the chipset then the gfx drivers..then the rest all on a P6X58D-E MOBO...everything in the BIOS is set to AHCI,but it still reports the 2 SSD's in IDE mode...even the registry value is set to 0.

i can confirm this as the device manager reports the two SSD's as SCSI disk devices,and Crystal Disc reports read speeds of 329 and writes at 188..far from the drives capabilities.

both SSD's are connected to the SATA 6gbs ports.

i am assuming that my 80gb SSD was in IDE mode before the upgrade,but i didnt go to far into it because CrystalDIscMarks was reporting the proper read and write speeds for that drive.

Intel SSD tool box tells me...The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD.
Consider changing to another storage driver compatible with your system and try the tool again.

while i was installing my programs i installed the toolbox before i connected my 80gb SSD and my other drives,and it WORKED for the 120gb drive!

but after i connected the other drives it doesn't work..ive tried uninstalling the Intel SATA AHCI Controller which then lists the drives as ATA device drives,and after a reboot that changes nothing with my read and write speeds and the tool box still doesn't work.

i think i'm getting screwed over by the Marvel 91xx SATA 6G Controller which is set to AHCI in the BIOS.

any thoughts advice on how to fix this issue will be greatly welcomed.

Post subject: Re: Poor performance with new SSD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

dtischerd wrote:
i think i'm getting screwed over by the Marvel 91xx SATA 6G Controller which is set to AHCI in the BIOS.

any thoughts advice on how to fix this issue will be greatly welcomed.

Plug them into the 6Gbps ports that are actually part of the chipset. If you're using a chipset that doesn't have native 6Gbps ports, then there's nothing more you can do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

they are plugged into the native 6gb ports as this mobo has native sata 6,and sata 3.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

dtischerd wrote:
they are plugged into the native 6gb ports as this mobo has native sata 6,and sata 3.

Are you sure because you mentioned:

Quote:

Either way, what's the motherboard? Because if it's a Z68/Z77, it only has two native 6Gbps ports, any more is provided by the Marvel controller.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Its an Asus P6x58D-E mobo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well there's your problem. It's an X58 chipset based board, which has no native support for SATA 6Gbps.

I'm also only speaking based on experience from my current system (so only one configuration), but I do have a feeling the Marvel controllers aren't actually up to snuff with transfer rates. I benched my SSD on the Marvel controlled 6Gbps and came out to 350MB/s reads. When I put it in the chipset's actual 6Gbps port, it came close to the rated 550MB/s.

So my only solution to you is to make sure that the drives are in the 6Gbps slots (it's the two white ones), that you have the Marvel controller drivers installed (although this shouldn't be necessary, but I don't know), and that the controller is in AHCI mode.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:02 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

i have them plugged into the grey sata 6 ports..which i think they are the chipset ones..not really sure what you mean by that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

everything is in AHCI mode,but bios still reports them as ide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

dtischerd wrote:
i have them plugged into the grey sata 6 ports..which i think they are the chipset ones..not really sure what you mean by that.

Your motherboard uses the X58 chipset, which includes the ICH10 Southbridge. It has no support for SATA 6Gbps. The Marvel Controller is connected to the chipset to provide the "SATA 6Gbps" support.

And I don't understand what you mean it's being reported as IDE. What's being reported as IDE?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

in the bios under disc drives...the ssds are reported as ide and the regular hard srives are reported as HDD.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

and in device manager the drives are reported as SCSI device drives

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Go into the devices then and see if you can change them individually for AHCI.

And SATA is sometimes misidentified for SCSI depending on the driver.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

so i reinstalled my Win 7 64 bit Ultimate OS on the Single 120gb SSD with all other drives disconnected.

i only installed the Intel Sata AHCI controller,and did not install the Marvel Controller. So the SSD was listed as a ATA Device..i also installed Intel SSD Toolbox,and CrystalDiscMark.

the toolbox worked,but Crystal Disc reported even slower speeds.i then installed the marvel controller..still only having my boot drive connected,and the speeds were around 300 read and 180 writes.

now i connected my other SSD and HDD's,and now Intel SSD Tool Box will not work!..ugh.

this is really driving me nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

• Stop worrying about what the device is listed as. The OS does not give a shit and the device will not perform any less because of what it's identified as. As long as BIOS is configured correctly, then we can assume the controller will work in that operation.
  • If you plugged the SSD in the 6Gbps port during your test, then it's expected that it would have less speeds because the 6Gbps ports are managed by the Marvell controller.

Ultimately, I don't know how the controller is wired to the chipset. Chances are it's connected to one of the PCI-Express 1x lines the Southbridge has. And again, in my experience with Marvell SATA 6Gpbs controllers, it doesn't deliver the full speed for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

well that suxx..i am not happy with this upgrade!

least my new GTX 660 Ti rocks!