Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Some Help!! Ran Memtest86+, Now PC Won't Turn On...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:23 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

This is the story:

My friend bought a new 1tb HD and formatted it using FAT32 and WinXP Home 32... A few days later he called me and said he was getting BSODs, so I had him bring it to me. While it was at my house I could never get any of the BSODs to pop up, so I don't know why they happened.

I (full) formatted the drive with Seagate tools, no bad sectors, so I partitioned it, NTSF, and installed WinXP Home 32, everything went smoothly. After the install, I installed the MoBo drivers and decided to run Memtest. While Memtest was running it got around 1700 errors and shortly before it was finished, it froze. I turned the PC off, put the RAM stick in a different slot and the PC won't turn on. The light on the MoBo flashes green even before I hit power and when I do hit power the fans spin for about 2-4secs., then it powers off. (No beeping of any kind)

Shortly after, I pulled the battery out to clear CMOS and put the RAM stick back in the slot it was originally in and it booted right up into Windows. That night I powered the PC down and this morning when I went to turn it back on, it is doing the same thing...Fans spin for about 2-4secs., but the MoBo light just flashes green(It was a solid green light until I hit power, then it started flashing.)(Again, no beeping of any kind).

After pulling the battery out again and waiting a few mins. it then boots up.

If memory is the cause, why would it all of a sudden cause this after I ran memtest? He said he never had any trouble with it not turning on before..

PC Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5n-E SLi
CPU: Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 1.8ghz
RAM: 1gb of 800mhz GSkill
PSU: FSP 500w 80+ (He just bought this a few months ago)
GPU: Nvidia 8400gs
HD: Seagate 1tb

Thanks guys, he's giving me a hard time now, since it wasn't doing this before. I'm not the greatest at computers, but I do know a good bit..

Post subject: Re: Need Some Help!! Ran Memtest86+, Now PC Won't Turn On..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

After looking up what the blinking LED means, at least two found it was their PSU.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I was thinking that, but he just replaced an old one & why would clearing CMOS affect that?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:05 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Did you try a new CMOS battery?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:35 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Not yet. I've been turning the PC on and off for a bit, and it was booting every time, but just this last boot it did the same thing...I'll throw a new battery in and reply after.

Last edited by littlemikesc on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Even with a new battery it is not powering on now...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:41 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Just to eliminate one or the other, try using a different PSU. If you do not have a spare one available, try getting the thing to power on, then go into the BIOS and check the output voltages on all the rails (3.3v, 5v, and +12v) and ensure that they are within +5% of what they should be (look particularly at the 5v rail). If you can't do that, try getting one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6899261023 to check your current PSU. It will give you a reading for the "power good" signal on the PSU and will also let you know if it is good or not. If the PSU is fine, you most likely have a defective motherboard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:37 am 

littlemikesc wrote:
This is the story:
While Memtest was running it got around 1700 errors and shortly before it was finished, it froze. I turned the PC off, put the RAM stick in a different slot and the PC won't turn on.

you might want to try a different stick of ram too