Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nexus7 program installation problem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I hope this is in the right folder. I considered Alt OS Abode and Roadwarrier Pitstop but since I'm seeking help, I came here.

My old JXD S6600 7" tablet (Android 4.0) was recently stolen and in my haste to replace it I bought a 32GB Asus Nexus7 (Android 4.2.1) without realizing it lacked a microSD slot.

No problem, I thought. I'll just root it and use a micro cardreader through an OTC cable. Using the Nexus Root Toolkit from Wugfresh, the unlocking and rooting seemed to go just fine and before long I was using SuperSU to grant root access to BusyBox.

The problems started when I tried to install drive mounting and file management programs from Google Play Store. The downloading/installation seemed to be going as they should but when it was done, they didn't show up in the applications screen. Play Store says it installed them on an "Unspecified S6600".

I didn't try installing anything prior to rooting so I don't know if its a root-based issue or a Google account issue. Why do they think my Nexus7 is an S6600? Where did the data go? I saw the transfer and it seemed to take the right amount of time.

I tried disabling SuperSU and installing a simple free text editor but the results were the same. It seems I may have to un-root and relock it (reverting to factory settings) just to install a few essential programs before re-rooting. This seems like a real hassle because the process involves a lot of plugging in and unplugging the Nexus from my PC and many reboots back and forth between normal and bootloader modes and takes a fairly long time.

I was hoping to avoid this tiresome process, especially if it turns out not to be root-related, but a Play Store issue. Has anyone here experienced these issues or have any suggestions? TIA

Post subject: Re: Nexus7 program installation problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:51 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Sounds like a issue with the rooting. The program you used probably disabled apps from automatically showing up in the program list. You will have to use a application to look into the file system to find the program's.
As for why it's showing up as something else. The rooting software is telling google that is what it is because it doesn't know better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:14 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Did you log into and setup your google account on the new device before rooting? If not that is your problem, GooglePlay still thinks it working with the old device.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

nsvander wrote:
Did you log into and setup your google account on the new device before rooting? If not that is your problem, GooglePlay still thinks it working with the old device.

That makes sense. I didn't really stop to think that Google would be so intrusive as to keep tabs of what device I'm using. Didn't they used to preach "Don't Be Evil"?

It makes me regret ever giving them my email address.

***Runs off looking for onion router to hide behind***
_____

Thanx