Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wiped Out My 3TB Drive because of Dynamic Disk Plus IRST
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello;

I've spent the night googling and trying to pull all of the pieces together but I still have a few holes I'm hoping some one can fill in.

Last night I wiped out over 2TB worth of data when I was writing to my 3TB HDD. The used space crossed the 2TB mark and blew away the GPT and essentially "corrupted" the HDD.

From what I've read this is because 1) I had the HDD set to Dynamic rather than Basic (I don't know why I had set it like this, there was no need) and then 2) I didn't have IRST installed at all.

What I fail to understand is what IRST has to do with anything? I didn't realize it was such a vital component - I thought it was just an add on if you were using SSD caching or something...??

Specs are:
Windows 7 64bit
ASUS p8z68-v Pro
OS resides on an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
"Work" drive is 2x 256GB Samsung 840 SSDs in RAID0
Storage HDD:
1.5TB
2.0TB
3.0TB

Thanks in Advance!

Post subject: Re: Wiped Out My 3TB Drive because of Dynamic Disk Plus IRST
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

IRST is only needed if you're using ACHI. Even then, Windows has its own ACHI driver.

If you want to try to recover the data, see if TestDisk will work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks!

I"ve actually got recovery software but unfortunately nothing was recoverable. Well - I should say nothing was recoverable in a good enough state. All files were re-named to their extension + a number. So it's easier to restore from back up (which I've got thankfully)

Because of the SSD raid I have the BIOS set to RAID (yes that's the actual option checked). But I've never heard if IRST being required before. I've been asking around the office and at least I'm not the only one (in good company)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Three things...

1. Not all recovery software is the same. I've been successful with Recuva even after a full format. Crazy powerful stuff, try it. Hell, you've got nothing to lose and only your data without the wonk renaming to gain.

2. IRST sucks, it was concocted back in the XP days and has not matured. Always use the baked-in win7/8 ACHI driver instead.

3. I still don't understand how you wiped your 2TB data while writing to a 3TB hdd. This makes no sense

Quote:
The used space crossed the 2TB mark and blew away the GPT and essentially "corrupted" the HDD

A dynamic disk makes no difference and doesn't give free reign to all your other drives.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Sorry, that wasn't clear:

this is all about the 3TB HDD.

While writing data to the 3TB HDD I used more than 2TB worth of space on it. This is what triggered the initial issue - using more than 2TB on the 3TB HDD.

I've been told that IRST is the SATA III driver. Without version 10.X or greater of IRST installed then you will encounter this issue when the used portion of a 3TB (or larger) HDD crosses the 2TB mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:01 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Logun wrote:
I've been told that IRST is the SATA III driver. Without version 10.X or greater of IRST installed then you will encounter this issue when the used portion of a 3TB (or larger) HDD crosses the 2TB mark

Ha! You've been told wrong. It's real simple, you should only use IRST if you're in Raid. If not, nix it, and simply use the native driver. Get your sata driver from your motherboard download server. IRST is no longer optimal and its usefulness has long passed for sata II and III.