Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Processor Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:57 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I am going to buy a new desktop at some point soon. Do I wait? Not sure if a new chip is coming out in next few months.

My current desktop is 7 nearly 8 years old. I don't game often but when I do would like it not to be choppy. Basically play Diablo if I play anything.

AMD FX vs i7 vs A10 what is better?

Budget is limited to around $600 - 800

I really hate to buy because they put crap in the computers but I just don't have the time to do RMA if there is a defect etc...

Post subject: Re: Processor Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Flipper wrote:

That's funny! LOL! It's not even close, Intel punks AMD at IPC, TDP, at every turn actually. For more laughs, click here.

If you have no real impetus to build now, just wait and stick with what you have. Haswell and LGA 1150 with more native I/O ports will be out in six months, it's an Intel "tock" and will be a game changer...perhaps one of the very last must have (non-Xeon) desktop procs since from their forward all new fabrication will be on ultra low TDP mobile parts.

What are the details of your system now? Perhaps there is a smart upgrade to hold you over until June.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:12 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Flipper, If you want a mild game machine, go with AMD, everybody laughs but they do work well as I am typing from one now. I would like to be up front and say I am not an AMD fanboy, I just like to stretch my bucks to do what I need to do with my pcs. AMD FX 8150 filled the bill for me when it was first introduced along with two 6970s in crossfire. Every game that I toss at this machine runs just fine with no slideshow effects at high rez and all high video options.

It is up to the individual if they want to spend a lot of money for Intel or spend a lot less for AMD and get the same results. For example I run Skyrim with everything on high and it looks and runs super! I also run BF3, GW2, COD4, Mass Effect 3, Dungeon Siege 3, many Steam games and...Balure's Gate 1 and 2 look and run just like they did when they first came out along with Diablo 2. :lol:

For 6 to 800 bucks you can build a nice AMD machine that will run anything you toss at it.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=7718

Nasty

PS...I don't like the psu...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's nothing wrong with going for AMD... for a shorter term possibly. A lot of games are GPU-bottlenecked, but at the end of the day, AMD does trail behind and it'll hit the CPU cap sooner if you don't plan on building a new system every two years. Also AMD processor run hotter and eat up more power. The FX series is like the Pentium 4.

Just have a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 106-3.html (If you want to spend somewhere between $110-$180 on a processor, otherwise the whole article is a nice read)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Look at the fps here, for 1 fps I would buy the AMD 8350 in a heartbeat...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... ,3106.html

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 am 

kleinkinstein wrote:
Flipper wrote:

That's funny! LOL! It's not even close, Intel punks AMD at IPC, TDP, at every turn actually. For more laughs, click here.

If you have no real impetus to build now, just wait and stick with what you have. Haswell and LGA 1150 with more native I/O ports will be out in six months, it's an Intel "tock" and will be a game changer...perhaps one of the very last must have (non-Xeon) desktop procs since from their forward all new fabrication will be on ultra low TDP mobile parts.

What are the details of your system now? Perhaps there is a smart upgrade to hold you over until June.

You gave me a good laugh on this but right and I have to agree wait till June.