Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows XP Home Edition...Problem Starting Up...Please Help!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:05 pm 

I have an HP Pavilion 764x that is about a year old and have had no problems with it until 2 days ago. I shut it off for the evening and the next time I powered it up, the blue HP screen would come up then it would go to the opening Windows screen...then back to the blue HP screen....then I would get a message that the machine lost power or was interrupted. It would say that I had a couple of different choices..."safe mode", "safe mode with command prompt", "safe mode with navigation (I think)", "start windows normally", "start windows at last known good configuration". The start windows normally and start at last know config options don't work as they just go to a blue HP screen and then back to this message.

I have become so frustrated that I have used the HP system recovery tool and have reverted back to when I got the machine, but it has happened 4 times in the last 2 days and I am now afraid to turn off my machine or restart it for any reason.

I have updated windows with the latest downloads, ran a spyware program and checked the entire computer for viruses and nothing comes up. The only thing I have added lately is a linksys router and wireless notebook adapter, but everything was fine.

Does anyone have a clue what I can do to prevent this from happening again? I am desperately in need of assistance and don't have a clue how to fix this.

Please-Please-Please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:53 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

windows repair

BIOS update

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:56 pm 

Sorry if I sound a little slow here...I am not that technologically advanced. What do I do to fix it?

Windows repair...BIOS update...what does that mean.

Thanks for all assistance and I apologize for being a moron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:10 am 

Can anyone help? I hate to sound desperate...but I am. I depend on my computer for my livelihood. Thanks to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:16 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Sounds like something is causing you to reboot during the actual bootup process and without knowing a little more then what's happening, I'd be hard pressed to say anything other then to get out the restore CDs.

Just some thoughts, but if anything, I'm going to say you either have a stick of ram or the video card that just went south on you.

The power interupted message just indicates to me that it's trying to boot and because of the situation you're in (rebooting), things appear to be shut down improperly....so that makes some sense.

I'd at least try to visually see what's going on during that bootup process...I'/d bet there's a blue screen in there somewhere that's should be pointing you to the right place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:36 pm 

Thanks for the note. Here is exactly what happens...I turn the computer on and it starts up. A blue HP screen appears for a moment and then goes blank upon which the Windows XP screen appears and the "lights" move across the bottom of the logo. Then, the screen goes blank, there is a noise inside the computer (almost like a small rattle) and then the fan starts up again and the blue HP screen appears.

This is when I get the screen that gives me the options of safe mode, etc. If I choose start Windows from last know configuration or start Windows normally, then it goes through the above process and then goes back to the screen of choices again.

I haven't turned off my computer or restarted it in 2 days as I am fearful of having the same problem. The computer has only been in use for about 5-6 months and was running great.

I am totally lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:16 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'm going to say at this point, have a tech look at it. This is really a hardware issue that should be addressed by any warranty you have.

I'm still going to suspect what I said earlier...Ram or Video Card...possibly a HD or power supply or even a CPU fan, based on the noise.