Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AMD FX 4170 @ 80 Degrees C WTF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I built a system a few months ago that contains an AMD FX-4170, AMD HD 7770, 350 Watt PSU that I got from an old Dell that was laying around, a Micro ATX motherboard and case. I know the power supply is really bad, I was wondering if it could be causing my CPU to overheat. While I'm browsing the web my SpeedFan says its at 60 Degrees C, that's pretty fucking ridiculous. While I play games my CPU has gotten to 75 and even 80 degrees before shutting down. The video card barely gets hot at all. I don't even have a DVD burner hooked up since i'm scared of my PSU not being able to handle everything. I have my side panel off with a huge floor fan blowing air into the case. I was thinking of replacing my PSU and reseating the heatsink with some new thermal paste. Has anyone had any experience with a CPU overheating due to insufficient power? Everything seemed fine until a month ago when it started getting super hot.

Post subject: Re: AMD FX 4170 @ 80 Degrees C WTF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You are indeed running hot. But you've got all the fixes covered. Go the cheapest routes first. So first make sure your bios is up to date, and don't always trust SpeedFan, it's a good app and I use it...but I've seen it report whack and wonk too many times not to be tagged without a disclaimer. Other good options are HWMonitor and CPUz, but I digress. What I'm getting at is that it's always best to check your temps in bios where it's always most accurate. If still reporting elevated after the flash, then yes repaste your cooler (which btw what kind?). Next would be to toss and replace that psu. Good CX Corsair models (modular too) can be had for $25-$40 after MIR. As luck might have it, and you're not the pondering type, a killer deal only today on the Corsair 750TX @ $60. I wouldn't let this oppy pass, it's nearly 50% off right now, since you really do need a real psu.

Post subject: Re: AMD FX 4170 @ 80 Degrees C WTF
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am using the stock cooler right now. I have to under clock it to like 3.7GHz just so the PC doesn't over heat and shut down.